College of Education and Human Development
C. Carney Strange, Ph.D
Higher Education and Student Affairs
HESA faculty since 1978
Ph.D. University of Iowa (Student Development in Higher Education) 1978
M.A. University of Iowa (College Student Personnel) 1976
B.A. St. Meinrad College of Liberal Arts (French Literature, Philosophy, Classical Languages) 1969
Concepts of student development; design and impact of educational environments; spiritual dimensions of student development; qualitative research methods; multicultural pedagogy.
Teaching at BGSU
CSP 6020: Theory and Assessment of College Student Development
CSP 6030: Theory and Assessment of Educational Environments
CSP 6050: Capstone Seminar in College Student Personnel
CSP 6800: Spiritual Dimensions of Student Development
HIED 7510: Qualitative Problems and Research Methods in Higher Education
Strange, C. C., & Banning, J. H. (2001). Educating by design: Creating campus learning environments that work. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Cox, D., & Strange, C. (Eds.) (2010). Achieving student success: Effective student services in Canadian higher education. Toronto: McGill Queens University Press.
Kuh, G. Schuh, J., Whitt, E., Andreas, R., Strange, C., Krehbiel, L. E., & McKay, K. A. (1991). Involving colleges: Successful approaches to fostering student learning and development outside the classroom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Strange, C., Hardy-Cox, D., & Seifert, T. (Winter, 2011). Who are we and what do we do? Canadian student services in profile. Communique. Journal of the Canadian Association of College and University Student Services, 11(2), p. 15-16.
Strange, C., & Stewart, D. (2011). Preparing diversity change leaders. In D. L. Stewart (Ed.), Multicultural student services on campus: Building bridges, re-visioning community (pp. 254-266). ACPA Books and Media Publication. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
Strange, C. (2009). “Creating and maintaining safe college campuses: A sourcebook for evaluating & enhancing safety programs” by Jerlando F. L. Jackson and Melvin Cleveland Terrell. Journal of Higher Education, (80)5, 598-600.
Strange, C. (2008). Leadership happens. Or does it? Concepts and Connections. University of Maryland National Clearinghouse for Leadership Programs.
Strange, C. (2007). [Review of] “Achieving and sustaining institutional excellence for the first year of college,” by Betsy O. Barefoot, John N. Gardner, Marc Cutright, Libby V. Morris, Charles C. Schroeder, Stephen W. Schwartz, Michael J. Siegel, and Randy L. Swing. Jossey-Bass, 2005. Journal of Higher Education, (78)2, 245-247.
Strange, C. (Winter, 2007). High performance colleges and universities: A call for student success. Communique. Journal of the Canadian Association of College and University Student Services, 7(2), p. 34-35.
Strange, C. (2005). From here to Clare: Yearnings of a scholar-turned-dad. Journal of College and Character. [on-line]
Strange, C. (2004). Measuring up: Defining and assessing outcomes of character in college. In J. Dalton (Ed.). Assessing Character Outcomes in College. New Directions for Institutional Research (pp. 25-36). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Strange, C., & Rogers, J. (2003). Teaching spirituality in public higher education. Religion and Education, 30(1), 24-39.
Wolfe, J., & Strange, C. (2003). Academic life at the franchise: Faculty culture in a rural two-year branch campus. The Review of Higher Education, 26, 343-362.
Philpott, J., & Strange, C. (2003). "On the Road to Cambridge": A case study of faculty and student affairs in collaboration. The Journal of Higher Education, 74(1), 77-95.
Strange, C., McGrath, C., & Lane, H. (2002). Millennials rising in the academy. Communique: Journal of the Canadian Association of College and University Student Services, 8-11
Strange, C. (2003). Dynamics of campus environments. In S. Komives, D. Woodard, Jr., & Associates, Student Services: A Handbook for the Profession (4th Ed.). San Francisco: Jossey Bass. pp. 297-316.
Strange, C. (2003). College and its effect on students. In James W. Guthrie (ed.), Encyclopedia of Education (2nd edition). New York: McMillan Reference USA., pp. 332-340.
Strange, C. (2003). Transforming the journey: Mentoring lives through magic and myth. Proceedings of the Biennial Meeting of the American Benedictine Academy, Bismarck, ND. (15 pages)
Strange, C. (2001). Spiritual dimensions of graduate preparation in student affairs. In M. A. Jabolonski, (Ed.) The Implications of Student Spirituality for Student Affairs Practice. New Directions for Student Services, Number 95. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, pp. 57-67.
Strange, C. (2000). Creating environments of ability. In H. Belch, Serving Students with Disabilities. New Directions in Student Services, Number 91. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 19-30.
Miglietti, C. L., & Strange, C. C. (1998). Learning styles, classroom environment preferences, teaching styles, and remedial course outcomes for underprepared adults at a two-year college. Community College Review, 26, 1-19.
Strange, C., & Alston, L. (1998). Voicing differences: Encouraging multicultural learning. Journal of College Student Development, 39, 87-99.
Strange, C., & Hagan, H. (1998). Benedictine values and building campus community. The Cresset: A Review of Literature, Arts, and Public Affairs, Special Lilly Issue, pp. 5-12.
Belch, H. A., & Strange, C. C. (1995). Views from the bottleneck: Middle managers in student affairs. NASPA Journal, 32, 208-222.
Strange, C. (1994). Student development: The evolution and status of an essential idea. Journal of College Student Development, 35, 399-412.
Service to the Profession
•Saint Xavier University, Chicago - Member, Board of Trustees (2001 to 2010)
•St. Meinrad College and St. Meinrad School of Theology - Member, Board of Overseers, (1985-1991, 1992-1998); President of Alumni Association (2009-2011)
•American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- Directorate Member, Commission XII (1980-1983; 1986-1989; 1991-1994)
- Directorate Member, Commission IX (1983-1986)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of College Student Development (1984-1990; 1996-2002)
•National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- Editorial Board Member, NASPA Journal (1985-1988)
- Member, NASPA Region IV-E Advisory Board, Liaison to Professional Preparation Programs (1989-1993)
- Member, 1993 National Program Conference Committee
•Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- Research paper reviewer (1992, 1993, 1994)
- Symposium reviewer (1994, 1995)
•American Benedictine Academy (1999-present)
•CASE International Journal of Educational Advancement
- Editorial Board Member (1999-2009)
•Religion and Education
- Editorial Board Member
Awards and Honors
- 2010 American College Personnel Association - Contribution to Knowledge Award.
- 2006 National Association of Student Personnel Administrators - Pillar of the Profession.
- 2005 National Association of Student Personnel Administrators - Faculty Fellow.
- 2005 Canadian Association of College and University Student Services - Honourary Membership Award for Contribution to Student Services and the Association.
- 2004 University of Iowa Graduate Program in Student Development in Postsecondary Education - Albert B. Hood Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- 2003 American College Personnel Association Senior Scholar.
- 1999 American College Personnel Association - 75th Anniversary Diamond Honoree.
- 1996 ACPA Annuit Coeptis Senior Professional Award.
- 1993 NASPA Region IV-E - Outstanding Contribution to Student Affairs Through Teaching Award.
- 1985 Bowling Green State University Phi Kappa Phi Honorary.
- 1978 American Personnel and Guidance Association - Ralph F. Berdie Memorial Research Award.
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB)
- American Benedictine Academy (ABA)
- Association of College Student Educators-International (ACPA)
- Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- International Association of Student Affairs and Services (IASAS)