Infantry Units: 3rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, June 20, 1861 to serve three years. It was mustered out June 21, 1864 by reason of expiration of term of service.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Middle Creek Fork, WV, July 6, 1861
- Rich Mountain, WV, July 11, 1861
- Elkwater, WV, September 11, 1861
- Bridgeport, AL, April 29, 1862
- Perryville, KY, October 8, 1862
- Stone River, TN, December 31, 1862
- Sand Mountain, AL, April 30, 1863
- Black Warrior Creek, AL, May 1,1863
- Blount's Farm, AL, May 2, 1863