Infantry Units: 40th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Columbus, Ohio in September, October, and November 1861 to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service, the original members (except veterans) were mustered out in October, November, and December 1864, by reason of expiration of term of service, and the organization composed of veterans and recruits consolidated into a Battalion, which was transferred to the 51st Regiment Ohio Infantry, December 10, 1864.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Middle Creek, KY, January 10, 1862
- Pound Gap, KY, March 14, 1862
- Franklin and Harpeth River, TN, April 10, 1863
- Tullahoma Campaign, TN, June 23-30, 1863
- Chickamauga, GA, September 19-20, 1863
- Lookout Mountain, TN, November 24, 1863
- Missionary Ridge, TN, November 25, 1863
- Ringghold, GA, November 27, 1863
- Resaca, GA, May 13-16, 1864
- Dallas, GA, May 25-June 4, 1864
- Kenesaw Mountain, GA, June 9-30, 1864
- Peach Tree Creek, GA, July 20, 1864
- Atlanta, GA (Siege), July 28-September 2, 1864
- Jonesboro, GA, August 31-September 1, 1864
- Lovejoy Station, GA, September 2-6, 1864
- Franklin, TN, November 30, 1864
No individuals from this unit have been identified among the newspaper correspondents.
Articles about the Unit/Anonymous Letters
"Gordon," Company G. Darke County Democrat. January 1, 1862, February 5, 1862