Infantry Units: 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry

The biographical sketches here show only those members of the unit who wrote letters to their local newspapers. Information may be drawn from the unit roster, newspaper obituaries, or other biographical sources.

Field and Staff

Brevet Major General Ralph Pomeroy Buckland

Ralph Pomeroy Buckland General Buckland was born January 20, 1812 in Leyden, Massachusetts but moved to Ravenna, Ohio the same year he was born. He attended Tallmadge Academy and Kenyon College where he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1837. He married Charlotte Boughton of Canfield, Ohio on January 18, 1838, having eight children.

Buckland soon moved to Fremont and entered practice, and in fact was the law partner of later President Rutherford B. Hayes for three years starting in 1846. One of Buckland's pupils, George W. Glick, later served as Governor of Kansas. Buckland was elected Mayor of Fremont in 1843, serving until 1845. He was a delegate to the Whig National Convention in 1848, and was twice elected to the Ohio State Senate as a Republican, serving from 1855-1859.

He was commissioned as Colonel of the nascent 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on October 30, 1861. He was commissioned to date January 10, 1862, and led his regiment (and brigade) at Shiloh with distinction. His brigade was the only one in Sherman's Division which survived the battle intact. Later in the year, he was commissioned a Brigadier General (to date November 29, 1862) and served in that capacity until his election to Congress in November 1864. He was assigned to the First Brigade, Third Division, 15th Army Corps and a bust of him is located at Vicksburg National Military Park. He resigned his commission December 22, 1864. His brevet promotion to Major General was approved to date March 13, 1865 for meritorious services rendered during the war.

After the war, Buckland served as U.S. Congressman representing the 9th District from March 4, 1865-March 3, 1869, and Presidential elector for Ohio in 1884. He also served as government director of the Union Pacific Railroad from 1877-1880. Among Buckland's veteran activities included his sponsorship of the 7th annual Society of the Army of Tennessee reunion, which was held in Toledo in 1873. Buckland also worked to have a statue erected in honor of Major General James B. McPherson in Clyde, Ohio.

He died May 27, 1892 in Fremont, Ohio and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
Articles: Fremont Journal- May 13, 1864
Sandusky Democrat- April 23, 1862
Letters: Norwalk Reflector: August 26, 1862
Fremont Journal- December 27, 1861, June 13, 1862, August 15, 1862, May 20, 1864
Sandusky Democrat- January 1, 1862

Major Eugene Allen Rawson

Eugene Rawson was born March 14, 1840 in Fremont, Ohio, being born to La Quinio and Sophia (Beaugrand) Rawson. He originally enlisted as a 21 year old Private in Co. D, 12th New York Volunteer Infantry on April 23, 1861 at Elmira, New York. He was quickly promoted to Corporal on June 1, 1861, and served with this regiment at Blackburn's Ford and Bull Run before his discharge on December 11, 1861. The Fremont native returned home following his commission as First Lieutenant and Adjutant of the forming 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served the regiment as Adjutant through the Battle of Shiloh, and following Colonel Buckland's commission as Brigadier General, was promoted to the rank of Major on November 29, 1862. He married Jennie Snyder of Cortland Co., New York on August 31, 1863. Following his marriage, he returned to the regiment and served until he was mortally wounded July 15, 1864 at the Battle of Old Town Creek, Mississippi. He died of his wounds a week later at Memphis, Tennessee. Major Rawson is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Fremont, Ohio. Rawson Post No. 32, G.A.R. was named in his honor.

"In the death of Major Rawson the army and the country have sustained an irreparable loss. Young, accomplished, and possessed of that chivalrous nature which leads to deeds of high daring, he gave promise of rising to positions of honor and usefulness. The idol of his regiment and beloved by this entire command, his death has caused a void which will never be filled. He fell at the head of his command in the fierce tempest of battle, leaving an example worthy the emulation of the bravest, and a name which his country and friends will be honored in cherishing."
--Report of Colonel M.L. McMillen
95th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Article: Fremont Journal- September 30, 1864
Letter: Fremont Journal- August 8, 1862

Sergeant Major Orin O. England

Orin O. England enlisted as a 21 year old Private in Company B, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on October 9, 1861, and was designated Sergeant Major December 2, 1861 before mustering into service December 31, 1861. He was promoted to First Lieutenant to date February 4, 1862 and was transferred to Company C. He was later promoted to Captain to date November 16, 1864 and was supposed to be transferred to Company B, but was not actually transferred until August 31, 1865. He was mustered out September 11, 1865 at Vicksburg, Mississippi.
Article: Sandusky Democrat- May 21, 1862

Surgeon John Birchard Rice

John Birchard Rice was born June 23, 1823 in Fremont, Ohio to Robert and Eliza Ann (Caldwell) Rice. Dr. Rice originally was commissioned Assistant Surgeon in the 10th Ohio Volunteer Infantry on May 1, 1861, but was mustered out June 3, 1861. He married Sarah Eliza Wilson on December 12, 1861 and had two children. He was promoted to Surgeon of the 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on January 10, 1862 and served with the regiment throughout the war, mustering out December 2, 1864. He died January 14, 1893 in Fremont, Ohio and is buried at Oakwood Cemetery.

From Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center Biography:
"John Birchard Rice was born in Lower Sandusky, Ohio on June 23, 1832. He was the second son of Dr. Robert S. and Eliza Ann (Caldwell) Rice. After his public school education, he spent three years at the printer's trade in the office of the Sandusky County Democrat. The wages he earned enabled him to obtain further education at Oberlin College and to prepare for medical school. After two years at Oberlin College, Rice entered the medical college at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor from which he graduated in 1857.

Rice then returned to Fremont to enter practice with his father. In 1859, he continued his medical studies by entering the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. He also attended clinics in medicine at Bellevue Hospital in New York. He then returned to Fremont, but was soon caught up in the Civil War.

When the war broke out, Dr. John B. Rice volunteered his services and was assigned as assistant surgeon of the Tenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served under Colonel Lytle through early battles in western Virginia (West Virginia). On November 25, 1861, he was promoted to surgeon and assigned to the 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the regiment raised in Fremont, Ohio by Ralph P. Buckland. Dr. Rice served with this regiment for three years. He was present when the 72nd withstood the shock of the Battle of Shiloh on April 6-7, 1862. During this battle, Dr. Rice was to lose many personal effects, including letters from his wife. This was unfortunately to lead to his destruction of most of her letters to him during the remainder of the war, thus avoiding their seizure by the Confederates. He was to serve, in part, during his military career as surgeon-in-chief of Lauman's and Tuttle's divisions of the 15th Army Corps and of the District of Memphis when it was commanded by General Ralph P. Buckland. He apparently had a reputation for being the life of the camp, cheerful as well as sympathetic and watchful for the interest of his comrades. He won the respect and admiration of the men who came under his surgical and medical care. One of his surgical achievements was to perform the rare operation of an elbow joint resection on Private J. L. Jackson of Company A of the 72nd OVI. Medical records reveal that he performed two surgical amputations on May 14, 1863, but both soldiers died of complications following the operations, not an unusual occurrence in the Civil War. How many successful operations he performed is unknown.

Dr. Rice described his experiences in and feelings about the war in a voluminous correspondence with his wife, brothers, and parents between 1861 and 1864. He left military service in early December 1864 to return to Fremont and his wife whom he had married on December 12, 1861. He resumed his interrupted medical practice in association with his brother, Dr. Robert H. Rice who had completed his medical education at the University of Michigan.

Dr. John B. Rice was to become eminent in his profession and participated in the county, district and state medical societies. For several years he was a member of the faculty at the Charity Hospital Medical College in Cleveland where he gave lectures in 1868 and 1869. He also lectured on military surgery and obstetrics. He contributed articles to medical journals and was recognized by his peers as an able member of the medical profession. Dr. Rice was active in civic affairs in the community. He served on the city board of health and as a member of the board of pension examiners. He gave of his means and influence to aid in any project for the prosperity and welfare of the community.

The height of his civic activity came in 1880. On August 10, 1880, the Republican district congressional convention at Clyde nominated Dr. John B. Rice for the Tenth District of Ohio seat in Congress. This district included Erie, Hancock, Huron, Sandusky, and Seneca counties. Rice won the nomination in the second ballot when the Seneca County delegation shifted enough of its votes to assure victory. In the congressional election on October 12, 1880, Rice won by a margin of 1368 votes. A victory celebration was held in Fremont at which delegations from all the counties in the district gathered for a parade and speeches by Dr. Rice, Governor Charles Foster and others. Dr. John B. Rice was to serve only in the Forty-seventh Congress. He became frustrated by and disillusioned with the dull, routine character of the work of a congressman. He, therefore, declined the nomination of his party for a second term. He returned to Fremont with his wife and two children, Lizzie, born September 18, 1865 and Wilson, born July 2, 1875. He resumed his medical practice and his management of the Trommer Extract of Malt Company.

Dr. Rice was one of the founders of the Trommer Extract of Malt Company in 1875. Others involved in this venture were: Dr. Robert H. Rice, Ralph and Stephen Buckland, and Gustavus A. Gessner. Dr. John B. Rice continued his medical practice until he became seriously ill with Bright's disease. This illness gradually sapped his strength and, when pneumonia set in, his death became imminent. He died on January 13, 1893."

Letter: Fremont Journal - September 5, 1862

Chaplain Abraham B. Poe

Enlisted 1/11/1862 as Chaplain, resigned commission 1/15/1863
Perrysburg Journal--3/27/1862, 4/10/1862, p. 3

Assistant Surgeon William M. Kaull

Enlisted 11/5/1861 as assistant surgeon, resigned commission 6/4/1863
Perrysburg Journal--6/25/1862.

Quartermaster Daniel M. Harkness

Daniel M. Harkness enlisted as Quartermaster in the 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on October 5, 1861, receiving his commission January 10, 1862. He resigned January 16, 1863.
Article: Tiffin Weekly Tribune: August 22, 1862

Roster - Company A, 72nd OVI

Captain Spencer Russell

Spencer Russell was born April 17, 1836 in Clyde, Ohio to William and Elizabeth (Beach) Russell. He was commissioned as Second Lieutenant on October 10, 1861, and was mustered into service February 17, 1862 into Co. A, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He led his company through the battle of Shiloh, and for this service was promoted to First Lieutenant to date April 6, 1862. Promotion to the rank of Captain followed to date July 15, 1862. He continued to serve with the regiment until he resigned his commission August 21, 1862. He died July 8, 1905 in Hudson, Michigan.
Letter: Fremont Journal - April 25, 1862

Sergeant Thomas W. Egbert

Thomas W. Egbert enlisted as a 39 year old Private in Company A, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, mustering into service the same day. Promoted to Sergeant the next day, he was discharged for disability February 15, 1863 at Memphis, Tennessee.
Letter: Seneca Advertiser: May 30, 1862

Sergeant William Weeks

William Weeks enlisted as a 43 year old Private in Company A, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on October 10, 1861, and was promoted to Sergeant December 2, 1861 before mustering into service February 17, 1862. Wounded April 6, 1862 at the Battle of Shiloh, he was discharged for disability September 16, 1862 at Memphis, Tennessee.
Letter: Sandusky Democrat- April 30, 1862 (2)

Roster - Company B, 72nd OVI

Captain John McIntyre Lemmon, AKA "Seventy Six"

J. McIntyre Lemmon enlisted as a 21 year old Private in Co. F, 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry on April 24, 1861 and served with the regiment until mustered out August 18, 1861. He then enlisted as a Private in Co. B, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on October 9, 1861, but was mustered out December 31, 1861. Wounded at the Battle of Shiloh on April 7, 1862, he was commissioned Second Lieutenant May 23, 1862 and was transferred to Co. I, but was later promoted to the rank of Captain to date July 23, 1863, and transferred back to Company B. He was mustered out June 24, 1865.

"In the death of John McIntyre Lemmon, which took place August 17, 1895, Clyde, Ohio lost one of her most distinguished, beloved, and admired citizens, and in her grief all Northern Ohio participated. He was a man of brilliant attainments and gifted by Nature with the elements of success in his mind and character and for years had served his fellow citizens in positions of responsibility and in a way that ever reflected honor on them as on himself.

John McIntyre Lemmon was born at Townsend, Sandusky County, Ohio, July 25, 1839, and passed away while still in middle life. His parents were Uriah Blake and Emily Amanda (McIntyre) Lemmon. From the maternal side came his Scotch blood and the name while on the paternal he traced his ancestry to a vigorous forefather, Hugh Lemmon, a native of Ireland. This great grandfather (Hugh) had twelve children, the second in order of birth being James Lemmon, who was born in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania in 1779. He married Rebecca Blake, whose surname was perpetuated in the name of their eldest son, Uriah Blake, who was born in Pennsylvania and accompanied his parents when they removed to Ohio in 1827. Uriah Blake Lemmon spent his seventy nine years of life in Sandusky County, dying at Clyde, February 16, 1887. He had married Emily Amanda McIntyre in early manhood. She died in Townsend Township, Sandusky County, in 1860.

Although neither had enjoyed many educational advantages, they were people of enlightened mind and they were anxious to afford their children the chances they had not been able to secure for themselves. The new country, however, was but sparsely settled when their son John McIntyre was born and when he had reached school age his only chance of instruction was in a district school, which was conducted but a few months in the year. As the boy grew into sturdy youth it became necessary for him to give assistance to his father in clearing and cultivating the 120 acre homestead farm, and it was not until he was eighteen that he had the chance to attend a private school. On every side we are met with the fact that all the great men of the world would never have risen above the common crowd had they not willed to do so and possessed the power to persevere in their purpose. This fact Mr. Lemmon again proved.

Studying at night or on any occasion when he found leisure, he so educated himself that he was able to pass the required examination and secured a teacher's certificate when nineteen years old, following which he taught school at Clyde until he accumulated enough means to take him through three terms at Oberlin College. Again he taught school and an invitation from an uncle who resided in Scotland County, Missouri, caused him to transfer his activities, in 1859, to another field. In the fall of the same year he entered upon the study law under Attorney-General James Proctor Knott, in Jefferson City, and this connection was of great benefit to the young man, as he met here the leading men of affairs in the country at that time, men of brilliant parts, a number of whom he was later to figuratively face on the field of battle.

The disturbed condition of the country in 1860, together with the illness and subsequent death of his dearly beloved mother, induced his return to Sandusky County, and soon afterward, he resumed his study of law, at Fremont, and again began to teach school. The quiet life which he had planned, filled with study and literary work, he soon found impossible, for, when Civil War threatened his beloved country, every patriotic impulse impelled him to offer himself as one of her defenders. John McIntyre Lemmon was a Civil War Vet. He belonged to Co F, 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment, and Company B, 72d Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

In April, 9, 1861 at Fremont, he enlisted for a service of three months' duration, all that was then deemed absolutely necessary, becoming a private in Company F, 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. When the company was ready to start, however, Private Lemmon was suffering from the measles and although he rejoined it at Fort Dennison, he was again taken sick and was left behind.

By October, his health being restored, he re-enlisted, entering Company B, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was organized under Ralph P. Buckland, later General Buckland. On January 18, 1862, the 72nd Regiment was sent first to Camp Chase, then on to Cincinnati and Paducah, Kentucky, where it became a part of General Sherman's force. This regiment participated in the battle of Shiloh, and Mr. Lemmon was twice wounded, [with the date of one wounding 6 Apr 1862], but not so seriously as to prevent his continuing with the regiment.

He was in the expedition to Oxford, Mississippi, in November, 1862, under General Grant and back to Moscow, Bolivar and Corinth, after which came Vicksburg, the siege of Jackson and then the campaign to Brandon, Mississippi, and back to Jackson.

Judge Lemmon never fully recovered from the hardships of this campaign. In June, 1864, he was particularly honored, being detailed as judge-advocate of a military commission at Memphis, and some very important cases were brought before his court. After seven months of service, at his own request, he was relieved and then returned to his command. In May, 1862, he had been commissioned a lieutenant, and in July, 1863, a captain. He served in the campaign against Mobile, under General Canby, fought at Spanish Fort and had reached Montgomery, Alabama, when the news of the end of the war reached the army [apparently on 25 Jun 1865].

Judge Lemmon, like many another active and faithful soldier, reached home in shattered health, but the happiness of domestic life and the opportunity to peacefully complete his law studies soon restored him to his normal condition. He soon engaged into practice and also engaged in business as a claim and insurance agent and paid more or less attention to public questions. In June, 1886, he was first honored by his fellow townsmen by election to the mayoralty and was reelected in 1867(?) and during these administrations he set in motion many agencies which have brought about the present peace and prosperity of the town. In 1866 he was appointed Judge of the Common Pleas Court of the First Sub-Division of the Fourth Judicial District of Ohio, and in 1877, he was again invited to accept this honor, but he declined. His practice absorbed him and a quiet life was more attractive to him than a more public one for which his qualifications so amply fitted him. He was ever loyal to the Republican Party and at all times was ready to use his influence for his friends, but as he grew older and his health gradually became again impaired, he withdrew more and more from the active arena.

On March 29, 1864, Judge Lemmon was married to Miss Annie Covell of Perkins, Erie County, Ohio, who survives him. In the summer of 1887 they took a long-talked-about tour which included a leisurely visit to France, England, Scotland and Wales. It was Judge Lemmon's first vacation in twenty-three years and was beneficial but did not restore him to former health. His last years, in a way, were his best years, for he was surrounded with every material comfort and was daily assured of the affection of his friends and the respectful consideration of his fellow citizens."

Letters: Fremont Journal- January 31, 1862, February 7, 1862 (3), February 14, 1862, February 21, 1862, March 7, 1862, March 14, 1862, March 21, 1862, March 28, 1862, April 11, 1862, April 18, 1862, April 25, 1862, May 2, 1862, September 12, 1862, September 19, 1862, September 26, 1862, October 17, 1862, October 24, 1862, November 7, 1862, November 14, 1862, November 28, 1862, December 5, 1862, December 26, 1862, February 6, 1863, February 13, 1863, February 20, 1863, March 6, 1863, March 20, 1863, March 27, 1863 (2), April 3, 1863, April 10, 1863, April 24, 1863, May 1, 1863, May 8, 1863, May 15, 1863, June 12, 1863, June 19, 1863, July 24, 1863, September 4, 1863, October 9, 1863, November 13, 1863, December 25, 1863, January 1, 1864, February 5, 1864, February 19, 1864, May 6, 1864, June 17, 1864, June 24, 1864, July 1, 1864, July 8, 1864, August 5, 1864, September 9, 1864, February 17, 1865, March 17, 1865, March 24, 1865

Private Chester Averill Buckland

Chester A. Buckland, nephew of 72nd Ohio leader Ralph P. Buckland, was born about 1841 to Stephen and Lucy (Whittlesey) Buckland. He enlisted as a 20 year old Private into Co. B, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on November 22, 1861, mustered in with the regiment December 31, 1861. He served with the regiment through the battle of Shiloh, where he was wounded above the knee on April 6, 1862. He died from his wounds aboard a hospital steamer on April 18, 1862 near Cincinnati, Ohio. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Fremont, Ohio.
Letters: Fremont Journal- April 25, 1862
Sandusky Democrat- February 12, 1862, February 19, 1862, March 5, 1862, April 30, 1862

Roster - Company C, 72nd OVI

1st Lieutenant Milton T. Williamson

Enlisted 10/29/1861 as 1st Lieutenant, mustered in 2/17/1862, mustered out 10/29/1864.
Toledo Blade- 4/19/1862

Private Frank Edgerton

Frank Edgerton enlisted as an 18 year old Private in Co. C, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on January 14, 1864, and served with the regiment for the rest of the war. He was mustered out September 11, 1865 at Vicksburg, Mississippi.
Letter: Fremont Journal- May 5, 1865

Roster - Company D, 72nd OVI

Private Joseph Findley

Enlisted 11/24/1861 as Private, killed in action 6/11/1864 at Ripley, Mississippi.
Perrysburg Journal--3/4/1863

Roster - Company E, 72nd OVI

Captain John H. Blinn

Enlisted 10/10/1861 as Captain, resigned commission 1/15/1863
Perrysburg Journal--5/1/1862, 7/2/1862

Private Thomas A. Gorrill

Enlisted 12/4/1861 as a Private, discharged 4/8/1865 by order of War Department; veteran
Perrysburg Journal--4/10/1862, p. 3

Roster - Company F, 72nd OVI

Captain Leroy Moore

LeRoy Moore was commissioned as a 25 year old Captain of Co. F, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on October 8, 1861, mustering into service January 4, 1862. He served with the regiment through most of the war, being captured June 11, 1864 at Ripley, Mississippi. He was mustered out March 12, 1865.
Letter: Fremont Journal- July 8, 1864

Roster - Company G, 72nd OVI

Captain William C. Bidle, Company G

William C. Bidle was commissioned a 27 year old First Lieutenant in Company G, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on November 10, 1861, mustering into service February 18, 1862. He was promoted to Captain to date April 9, 1864 and transferred to Company E. He was mustered out February 15, 1865.
Letter: Sandusky Democrat- February 5, 1862

Private Edward H. Gibbs

Edward H. Gibbs enlisted as an 18 year old Private in Company G, 72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry on December 2, 1861, mustering into service February 18, 1862. He was discharged for disability December 5, 1862 at Memphis, Tennessee.
Norwalk Reflector--May 6, 1862
Toledo Blade--5/7/1862

WWW Sites