Cavalry Units: 10th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry
Cavalry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Cleveland and Camp Chase, Ohio, from October 1862 to July 25, 1863, to serve three years. It left early in the spring of 1863 for Nashville, TN when it was ordered to Murfreesboro, TN, where it remained doing picket and scout duty, until the Army of the Cumberland opened the campaign against General Bragg. During this campaign the Regiment performed a vast amount of marching and countermarching. It was actively engaged in all of Kilpatyrick's movements during Sherman's Atlanta campaign. The great march to the sea was inaugurated, on this march, the Regiment was frequently engaged with the enemy. It was mustered out on July 24, 1865, at Lexington, NC, in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Chickamauga, GA, September 19-20, 1863
- Cosby Creek, TN, January 14, 1864
- Tunnel Hill, GA, May 2, 1864
- Siege of Atlanta, GA, July 28-September 2, 1864
- Jonesboro, GA, August 19-20, 1864
- Sweetwater, GA, October 1-3, 1864
- Bear Creek Station, GA, November 16, 1864
- Waynesboro, GA, December 4, 1864
- Aiken, SC, February 11, 1865
- Monroe Crossroads, NC, March 10, 1865
- Averysboro, NC, March 16-20, 1865
Roster - Field and Staff, 10th OVC
Mustered in March 3, 1863, at Camp Cleveland, Ohio, by Charles C. Goddard, Captain, 17th Infantry, USA, mustering officer. Mustered out July 24, 1865 at Lexington, NC, by William G. Wedemeyer, 1st Lieutenant 16th Infantry, USA, Acting Commisary of Musters Cavalry, Department North Carolina.