Infantry Units: 113th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment, with the exception of companies I and K, was organized at Camps Chase and Zanesville, Ohio from October 10-December 12, 1862. Company I, formerly a company of the 109th OVI, was organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio December 1, 1862, and Company K at Urbana and Columbus, Ohio from December 8, 1863-March 31,1864, all to serve three years. It was mustered out of service July 6, 1865, in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Chickamauga, GA, September 19-20, 1863
- Knoxville, TN (siege), November 17-December 4, 1863
- Rocky Face Ridge, GA, May 5-9, 1864
- Resaca, GA, May 13-16, 1864
- Dallas, GA, May 25-June 4, 1864
- Kennesaw Mountain, GA (including general assault), June 9-30, 1864
- Peach Tree Creek, GA, July 19-20, 1864
- Jonesboro, GA, August 31-September 1, 1864
- Savannah, GA (Siege), December 10-21, 1864
- Averysboro, NC, March 16, 1865
- Bentonville, NC, March 19-21, 1865
Roster - Field and Staff
At this writing, no correspondence from members of the 113th OVI has been identified.
Articles about the Unit/Anonymous Letters
Toledo Blade- 12/7/1864