Cavalry Units: 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry
Cavalry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
Companies A, B, C, and D of this Regiment were organized as the 7th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, but were consolidated December 19, 1861, with the 6th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, forming the First Battalion of that Regiment, the whole being then rendezvoused at Camp Dennison, Ohio. March 13, 1862, the First Batgalion, under command of Lt. Col. William O. Collins, was detached from the 6th OVC and orderd to proceed to Fort Laramie, Dakota Territory (now Wyoming) where it arrived May 30, 1862, having marched overland from Fort Leavenworth, KS, a distance of about 640 miles. During the summer of 1862, the Battalion was permanently detached from the 6th OVC and designated as athe "First Independent Battalion Ohio Volunteer Cavalry." A Battalion of four companies (E, F, G, and H) was organized at Camps Dennison and Chase, Ohio, from June 26 to July 31, 1863, and the two Battalions were consolidated and designated, the "11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry." The Second Battalion was called into service during John Morgan's raid through Ohio, and after the capture and dispersion of his force returned to Camp Dennison, Ohio. Leaving Camp Dennison August 1, 1863, the Second Battalion reached Fort Leavenworth, KS on the 13th. While there awaiting supplies, the sacking and burning of the town of Lawrence, KS, occurred, and the Battalion was sent in pursuit of Quantrill. After marching about 150 miles, it was recalled, and on September 2, proceeded across the plains for Fort Laramie, where it arrived October 10, 1863. Companies I, K, and L were organized June 30, 1864, at Fort Laramie, DT, being composed of surplus recruits assined to the Regiment. Companies A, B, C, and D were mustered out April 1, 1865, at Omaha, Nebraska, by reason of expiration of term of service. The remaining companies, being the last volunteer troops from Ohio in service, were mustered out July 14, 1866, at Fort Leavenworth, KS, by order of the War Department.
The ground of the operations of this Regiment, which was never actually together during its term of service, was in the center of the Rocky Mountains and the then hostile Indian country, before the organization of the Territory of Wyoming, when nearly all that vast extent of territory was known as Dakota and Idaho. Its principal duty was to guard the Pacific Telegraph line and the overland route of communication and supply, extending from Colorado and western Nebraska and Kansas, through Wyoming and Idaho to Utah and Oregon. With the exception of Fort Laramie, the men of this Regiment erected and guarded all the military posts and stations established in 1864 and 1865 on the line of communcation and supply indicated, to make the circuit of which required one thousand miles of travel. From march 1 to September 5, 1865, a single company of this Regiment erected five posts, guarded 150 miles of Pacific Telegraph line, and its several detachments had thirteen engagements with Indians. Two companies, on an expedition to Powder and Tongue Rivers, took part in a charge upon and the burning of an Indian Village, marched 1200 miles and were out fifty-eight days.
It is difficult to definitely locate and designate the numerous engagements between the regiment's detachments and the Indians. The following, however, is a list of the principle battles:
- South Pass, November 24, 1862
- Sweet Water Bridge, April 3, 1863
- Mud Springs Station, February 6, 1865
- Rush Creek, February 8, 1865
- Near Laparelle Creek, February 13, 1865
- Fort Marshall, March 28, 1865
- Deer Creek Station, April 21, 1865
- Camp Marshall, April 23, 1865
- Deer Creek, May 23, 1865
- St. Mary's Station, May 27, 1865
- Elkhorn, May 28, 1865
- Near Deer Creek, June 3, 1865
- Sage Creek Statiaon, June 8, 1865
- Sweet Water Bridge, June 22, 1865
- Rock Creek, June 30, 1865
- Platte Bridge (Ft. Caspar), July 26, 1865
- Powder River, August 20, 1865
- Indian Village (Tongue River), August 29, 1865