Infantry Units: 130th Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.

This Regiment was organized at Johnson's Island, Ohio, from May 13-31, 1864, to serve one hundred days. It was composed of the First Regiment Ohio National Guard from Lucas county and the 75th Battalion Ohio National Guard from Fulton County. The Regiment left Toledo May 12, 1864 to report to Brigadier General Hill, at Sandusky, for consolidation and muster-in. It moved to Johnson's Island, and was engageed in guarding Rebel prisoners. On the 4th of June the Regiment took the cars for Washington City. It remained there three days and then embarked on the transport George Weems, and reported to General Butler, at Bermuda Hundred, from which place it was ordered to Point of Rocks. The time was occupied in drilling, digging rifle-pits, and picketing the lines, until the 21st of June when it marched to Deep Bottom. On the 11th of August it marched to Bermuda Hundred, and proceeded on transports to Fort Powhatan, where it was ordered to be mustered out. It was mustered out at Toledo, Ohio, September 22, 1864 on expiration of term of service.

Roster - Field and Staff, 130th OVI

James W. Alderman

Roster - Company B, 130th OVI

Don A. Pease

Roster - Company C, 130th OVI

Francis L. Nichols
Ralph H. Waggoner

Articles about the Unit/Anonymous Letters

Articles:
Toledo Blade- 5/12/1864
Toledo Daily Commercial- 6/14/1864, 9/13/1864

Letters:
"H." observer. Toledo Daily Commercial- 6/17/1864