Infantry Units: 161st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Chase, OH May 9, 1864 to serve 100 days. It was composed of the 70th Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Tuscarawas County; 43rd Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Noble County; and one company of the 58th Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Hancock County. The Regiment was immediately ordered to Cumberland, Maryland, where it arrived at noon on the 12th. On the 28th, the Regiment moved to Martinsburg, West Virginia, and on the 4th of June Companies A, B, D, F, and H, with other troops were sent up the Shenandoah Valley with a supply-train for Hunter's Army, then supposed to be near Staunton. On reaching that place it was found that General Hunter had advanced, but they finally overtook him at Lexington, on the 11th. They remained with the Regiment until it arrived at Lynchburg, when, having turned over the supplies, they were ordered back to Martinsburg. After considerable marching and guard-duty the Regiment fell back to Maryland Heights. Early on the morning of the 6th of July skirmishing commenced, and continued for two days, the 161st taking an active part. On the 25th of August, it was oerdered to Ohio, and mustered out September 2, 1864, on expiration of term of service.