Infantry Units: 163rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry

Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.

This Regiment was organized at Camp Chase, OH May 12, 1864 to serve 100 days. It was composed of the 48th Regiment, Ohio National Guard, from Richland County; 72nd Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Henry County;; 96th Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Stark County. On the 13th of May the Regiment proceeded to Washington City [Washington, DC] under orders from General Heintzelman, commanding the Department of Ohio. It was assigned to duty with headquarters at Fort Reno, DC, where it remained until the 8th of June, when it was ordered to the front, and proceeded in transports to White House, VA, and thence to Bermuda Hundred. It reported to General Butler, at Point of Rocks, on the 12th of June, and on the 14th took part in a reconnaissance on the Petersburg and Richmond Railroad. Two hundred and fifty men of the 163rd were engaged in a severe skirmish on the 15th, and on the 16th it proceeded to Wilson's Landing, and from that point made several reconnaissances to the west side of the James. On the 29th of August, the Regiment was relieved from duty, and proceeded to Columbus, Ohio and was mustered out September 10, 1864, on expiration of term of service.

Roster - Company G

Henry E. Corey
R. B. Morrow

Articles about the Unit/Anonymous Letters

Letters:
"Bayard" Company G. Toledo Daily Commercial- 6/20/1864