Center for Archival Collections
Genealogy Resources: Allen County
Established: 12 February 1820
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Allen County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Allen County Guide to Local Government Records.
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Allen County Courthouse for more information.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Allen County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- Original Land Entries of Allen County, Ohio. pOG 14
- Naturalization of Aliens in Allen County, Ohio...Probate Court, 1860-1929. CAC OG F497.A4N37
- Naturalization of Aliens in Allen County, Ohio...Common Pleas Court, 1909-1974. CAC OG F497.A4N36
- Four Mennonite Cemeteries, Richland Township, Allen County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.A4 P75 1997
- Truro and Osborn Cemeteries of Putnam and Allen Counties, Ohio. CAC OG F497.P96 T75
- Allen County Ohio Marriages, 1831-1869. CAC OG F497.A4A45
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Criminal Records, 1853-1927, 1r (#104)
- Marriages, 1831-1919, 2r (#123-124)