Center for Archival Collections
Genealogy Resources: Lucas County
Established: 20 June 1835
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Lucas County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Lucas County Guide to Local Government Records .
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Lucas County Courthouse for more information.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Lucas County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- 1870 Census Index to the City of Toledo and to Townships in Lucas County, Ohio
- List of Electors Registered in the City of Toledo, Ohio, 1890
- Lucas County, Ohio Marriage Records (CAC OG F 497.L9 L83 1998)
- Lucas County, Ohio Church Records Inventory, 1990 (CAC OG CD 3449 .L9 L93)
- Index to certificates of naturalization from the Board of Elections (pOG 4255); Naturalizations from voters' registration "precinct books": late 1890's to early 1930's (CAC OG F497.L9 R45 1997); Declarations of Intention, 1844-1907 (pOG 4272); 1931-1952 (pOG 3343)
- Index to Litigants, Lucas County Chancery Court, 1836-1853 (CAC OG F 497.L9L84)
- Index to Obituaries, published in Toledo newspapers, 1837-1969 (MMS 1843mf)
- Tombstone inscriptions of Lucas County, Ohio (CAC OG F497.L9T65)
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Birth Certificates, 1901-1908, 1r (#305)
- Birth Records, 1867-1910, 2r (#205, 281)
- Death Records, 1868-1908, 1r (#210)
- Marriage Records, 1835-1998, 8r (#405-408, 410-413)
- Naturalizations, 1835-1906, 1r (#469)
- Naturalizations--Declarations of Intention, 1906-1920, 1942-1952, 1r (#349)