Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Altrusa International of Cincinnati, Ohio - MS 606
The records of the Altrusa International Club of Cincinnati, Ohio were donated and transferred to the Center for Archival Collections in September 1990, with the assistance of Jean Issemman. The records, dating from 1945 to 1989, include yearbooks, newsletters, financial documents, and news clippings.
No restrictions exist on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted for research purposes. The collection was arranged and described by Devon Proudfoot in July 2013.
Altrusa International is an international organization founded in the year 1917 in Nashville, Tennessee. The organization was originally intended to be a women’s service group with locations in the Midwest. The organization continued its efforts and expanded throughout the United States. Altrusa went international in 1935 when it opened up a chapter in Mexico and continued to expand to areas such as Great Britain, Russia, New Zealand, Canada, Puerto Rico, India, among other countries. Altrusa International has been responsible for such projects as pushing the youth to community service and increasing literacy and education around the world.
The Cincinnati Club of Altrusa International was founded on January 21, 1938 with the help of Nancy Sampson and thirteen other members. While it was originally apart of District Four, it joined District Five along with the rest of the Ohio clubs. The chapter quickly gained new members and began implementing service projects with the Red Cross and Children’s Hospital. Other reoccurring events such as their ann
ual auction began to happen on a regular basis. In 1957 the club started a monthly newsletter called the Al-Tru-News.
In 1971 the Cincinnati Club received the Mamie L. Bass Award at the International Convention. It is the highest honor a chapter can receive for its service projects.
The Altrusa International of Cincinnati, Ohio collection is comprised primarily of news clippings, newsletters, yearbooks, and other materials.
News clippings are arranged chronologically and separated by the newspaper that the article ran in, either the Cincinnati Enquirer or the Cincinnati Times-Star. These include the pictures and text contained in the paper that report on the past events of the club or upcoming community service projects.
The newsletter sent out by the Cincinnati club, known as Al-Tru-News, is also arranged chronologically. It contains monthly updates to members such as the location and date of future meetings along with the events that occurred during past meetings. They are bound in books and span dates from August 1957-June 1970, August 1970, September 1971-June 1980, and August 1980-September 1983.
Yearbooks also contain information about the Cincinnati club as they were released annually. The collection contains yearbooks for the years 1947, 1949-1967, 1969-1975, 1977-1985, and 1987-1988. These books contain information about the members, committees, and proceedings of the club, along with the events that took place over the course of the year.
The rest of the collection contains correspondences, chapter histories, event reports, financial reports, and photographic images. These are arranged chronologically and contain other information that is important to Altrusa International of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Flyers sent out by Altrusa inviting people to join in the annual auction put on by the Cincinnati Club.
CAREER HISTORY/EVENT HISTORY
Includes a copy of a history of the Cincinnati chapter of Altrusa that covers its inception in 1938 all the way up to 1989. Also contains a brief history of the annual auction event.
Articles and pictures that describe and detail the projects and events put on by the Cincinnati Club. Articles originally appeared in the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Cincinnati Post-Times.
These include financial reports displaying the funds utilized and the funds raised by the service projects of the organization.
August 1957-June 1970, August 1970, September 1971-June 1980, August 1980- September 1983
The monthly newsletter sent out to members by the chapter with updates on meeting dates and topics covered in meetings. Also covers upcoming projects and other important information.
1947, 1949-1967, 1969-1975, 1977-1985, 1987-1988
These are annual information booklets that review the club’s year. Information includes new members in the organization, members of the various committees and information about the events put on by the members.
Include photographs depicting members of the organization during the 1977 Founders Day event.
- Auction Invitations, 1963-1987
- Member Correspondence, 1962
- Birthday Program Report, 1986
- Downtown Senior Citizens Center Report, 1961
- Founders Day Report, 1977
- Auction History, 1974
- Chapter History, 1989
- Cincinnati Enquirer News Clippings, 1956-1988
- Cincinnati Times-Star News Clippings, 1955-1966
- Auction Earnings Records, 1954
- Financial Report Sheets, 1964-1987
- Al-Tru-News Newsletter, August 1957-June 1962
- Al-Tru-News Newsletter, July 1962-June 1970
- Al-Tru-News Newsletter, August 1970, September 1971-June 1980
- August 1980-September 1983
- Yearbooks, 1947, 1949-1952
- Yearbooks, 1953-1954
- Yearbooks, 1955-1957
- Yearbooks, 1958-1961
- Yearbooks, 1962-1965
- Yearbooks, 1966-1967, 1969-1970
- Yearbooks, 1971-1974
- Yearbooks, 1975, 1977-1979
- Yearbooks, 1980-1983
- Yearbooks, 1984-1985, 1987-1988
- Founders Day Photographs, 1977
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy