Historical Collections of the Great Lakes

HCGL Manuscripts | HCGL Databases | Reference Services | CAC Homepage

Alice Haas Schultz Marblehead Collection - GLMS 48

Introduction | Agency Sketch | Scope and Content | Series Description | Inventory

Introduction

This one-half cubic foot collection was transferred to the Bowling Green State University Center for Archival Collections on October 20, 1982. The Instrument of Gift was signed on the same date. On January 28, 1992, the collection was transferred to the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes.

Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of scholarly research and conservation.

Agency Sketch

The US Coast Guard was founded within the Department of the Treasury on January 28, 1915. The former Revenue Cutter and Lifesaving Services were merged to create the Coast Guard. The station at Marblehead, Ottawa County, Ohio was established as a lifesaving service facility in 1876. Captain L. M. Clemons and Surfman W. W. Griesser manned the station with the assistance of volunteers.

On April 10, 1884 six new paid surfmen joined the Marblehead staff. Captain Clemons resigned on March 31, 1897 and D. L. Griesser became the new captain. Griesser remained in command until he resigned on April 30, 1916.

Ernest Haas, father of the collection donor Alice Haas Schultz, temporarily commanded the station until June 15, 1916 when Captain George E. Jackson arrived to assume his new duties. Captain Jackson was temporarily reassigned to New York from June 30 to August 21, 1919. Haas was, again, temporarily in command. Haas was promoted to Captain and commanded the Marblehead Station after Jackson was assigned to Oswego, New York on November 4, 1920. Haas remained in command of the station until his retirement in 1927. A twenty-two year association with the Marblehead station was then concluded. Captain Haas was born in 1869 and lived until 1962.

Scope and Content

The focus of this collection of photographs and printed items is the US Coast Guard station at Marblehead, Ottawa County, Ohio on Lake Erie. Few items are dated, but they fall into the period from about1905-1930. The one-half cubic feet of this collection is composed of 163 black and white photographs and three printed items.

Within the photographic items are views of Coast Guard station buildings, nearby private dock areas, and the Marblehead lighthouse. Lifesaving equipment and drills for using these items are also recorded in the photographs. Members of the staff assigned to the Marblehead station appear in many of the photographs and are mentioned in folder 34, item 3 of the printed materials.

Series Description

PHOTOGRAPHS

PHOTOGRAPHS
ca. 1905-1930
one-half cubic foot
Series contains 163 photographs regarding the US Coast Guard station at Marblehead, Ohio on Lake Erie. Buildings, personnel, equipment, drills, and rescue activities have been photographed. Vessels appearing in the photographs include the ARROW, the CHIPPEWA, the JAMES H. PELLETT, and several unidentified boats.

PRINTED MATERIAL

PRINTED MATERIAL
1927 and undated
1 file folder
Series contains three miscellaneous printed items regarding the activities of the Marblehead station.

Inventory

Box 1

Folder 1

  1. Marblehead Coast Guard Station. Area residents watching weekly Coast Guard drill
  2. Marblehead shoreline. Coast Guard station on the left. Present Neuman dock on right
  3. Iceboat (iron-clad) used to carry mail between Kelley's Island and Marblehead
  4. Coast Guard Station boathouse and dock. Kelley's Island Lime Company dock and company houses in the background
  5. Temporary boathouse, Marblehead Coast Guard Station

Folder 2

  1. Small boys playing in front of US Coast Guard Station
  2. Henry Elfers of Kelley's Island lost his horses in twelve feet of water just off Coast Guard Station. Elfers, fourth from left. E. J. Haas, fifth from left
  3. Getting ready to recover Elfer's horses from water in front of Coast Guard Station
  4. Duplicate of 3
  5. Recovering drowned horses owned by Henry Elfers in front of Coast Guard Station.

Folder3

  1. In front of Coast Guard Station. Top row: Ernest Hass, Glen Potts, Richard Dehring, Ralph Luebcke, ?, ? Robel. Bottom row: Fabian Clemons, Leo Snyder, Jim Pokey, Gilbert Clemons
  2. Duplicate of number 1
  3. Coast Guard personnel. Ernest Hass, ?, Jim Gordon, Capt. Jackson, Paul Forner, ?, ?. Boy at bottom: Capt. Jackson's son
  4. Rear of Coast Guard Station. Left to right: ? Kirkendale, Paul Forner, Ray Morton

Folder 4

  1. Life boat drill
  2. Semaphore drill
  3. Semaphore drill
  4. Coasat Guard rescue boat
  5. Duplicate of number 4

Folder 5

  1. Life saving drill. Held weekly
  2. Life boat, Lookout Tower
  3. Life saving drill using self-righting, self-bailing rescue boats
  4. Life saving drill. Left to right: Gilbert Clemons, John Gallagher, Jim Gordon, Ernest Hass, Capt. Dan Briesser, Dan Mulcahy, Paul Forner, Ray Morton, Jerry Tracy
  5. Life saving drill (same personnel as on 4)

Folder 6

  1. Capt. Ernest J. Hass
  2. Rescue boat
  3. Breeches buoy used in rescue operations
  4. Equipment used in life-saving. Breeches buoy
  5. Equipment used in life-saving. Breeches buoy. Life saving crew

Folder 7

  1. Boathouse, Coast Guard station
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Boathouse, Coast Guard station
  4. Boathouse, Coast Guard station
  5. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station, showing rails into the water
  6. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station, winter scene
  7. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station, E. J. Hass in foreground

Folder 8

  1. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Duplicate of 1
  4. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  5. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  6. Duplicate of 4

Folder 9

  1. Signal tower, Coast Guard Station
  2. Signal tower, semaphore flags. Coast Guard Station on left
  3. Signal tower with semaphore flags. Old Coast Guard Station on right
  4. Semaphore flags. Coast Guard Station
  5. Semaphore flags. Coast Guard Station. (Ship or railroad car in center?)

Folder 10

  1. Northeaster washing over Coast Guard Station dock
  2. Northeaster washing over Coast Guard Station dock
    Kelley Island Line Company in background
  3. Northeaster washing over Coast Guard Station dock
    Kelley Island Line Company in background
  4. Northeaster washing over Coast Guard Station dock
  5. Northeaster washing over Coast Guard Station dock

Folder 11

  1. Lucien M. Clemons, first captain of the Marblehead Coast Guard Station. Ernest J. Hass, Captain of the Coast Guard Station
  2. Coast Guard Station, side view
  3. Coast Guard Station. Note: Railroad car in the left background. Front view
  4. Coast Guard Station, front view
  5. Coast Guard Station, back view

Folder 12

  1. Capt. E. J. Hass in front of boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  2. Crew in front of boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  3. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  4. Boathouse, Coast Guard Station
  5. Duplicate of 4

Folder 13

  1. Coast Guard cutter
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Coast Guard lifeboat. Lookout tower on present Neuman dock
  4. Coast Guard power lifeboat. James home, right rear.
  5. Coast Guard lifeboat. Present Neuman dock in background

Folder 14

  1. Coast Guard cutter CG 120 at Marblehead, Ohio
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Coast Guard cutter
  4. Duplicate of 3

Folder 15

  1. Capt. Dan L. Griesser, wife, and daughter
  2. Capt. Hass' family. Left to right: Alice, Grace, Beatrice (daughters), Mrs. Jennie Hass, and Ernest J. Hass
  3. James home (still standing in 1982), next to Neuman dock. John James was the original owner of Coast Guard property
  4. Office, Coast Guard Station. Capt. E. J. Hass
  5. Ernest J. Hass and Capt. Dan Griesser

Folder 16

  1. Rescue operation, disabled boat
  2. Rescue operation, disabled boat
  3. Rescue operation, disabled boat

Folder 17

  1. Freight house destroyed by storm. Located on James dock, now Neuman's dock
  2. Freight house destroyed by storm
  3. Freight house destroyed by storm
  4. Capt. Griesser at Coast Guard Station dock. Freight house, lookout station, upper left (1926)
  5. Coast Guard Station dock and boathouse on right, Neuman dock on left

Folder 18

  1. Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company dock
  2. Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company dock
  3. Attempt to remove disabled boat near Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company dock
  4. Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company dock and disabled Coast Guard boat
  5. Kelley Island Lime and Transport Company dock and disabled Coast Guard boat

Folder 19

  1. Boat washed ashore
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Unidentified vessel
  4. Barge JAMES H. PELLETT washed ashore
  5. Barge JAMES H. PELLETT washed ashore

Folder 20

  1. Railroad car being pulled out of water by crane after brakes failed during building of the KIL & T company dock
  2. Getting ready for drill at the Life Saving Station
  3. US Coast Guard personnel
  4. US Coast Guard personnel
  5. Duplicate of 4

Folder 21

  1. Lookout tower on Coast Guard Station dock. Now Neuman's dock
  2. Lookout tower on Coast Guard Station dock
  3. Lookout tower on Coast Guard Station dock
  4. Rampart on lookout tower, Coast Guard Station
  5. Lookout duty in Coast Guard tower. Inside tower station

Folder 22

  1. Main Street
  2. US Life Saving Station
  3. Catholic Church, school house, and residence
  4. Central Plant, KIL & T company
  5. First Congregational Church
  6. Public school
  7. Donor's Dock and Quarry
  8. East main Street
  9. Post office and general store
  10. Marblehead light

Folder 23

  1. Coast Guard personnel. E. J. Hass, center.
  2. Capt. E. J. Hass
  3. Coasatguardsmen in front of Coast Guard Station
  4. Capt. E. J. Hass, fourth from right
  5. Capt. E. J. Hass

Folder 24

  1. Fort Niagara Life Saving Station, Youngstown, NY
  2. Fort Niagara Life Saving Station, Youngstown, NY
  3. Fort Niagara Life Saving Station, Youngstown, NY
  4. Harbor Beach, Michigan, Coast Guard Station drill
  5. Lorain Life Saving Station, Lorain, Ohio

Folder 25

  1. Coast Guard Station, front view
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. US Coast Guard Station breakwall
  4. In front of the James house. Coast Guard lookout tower in background
  5. Coast Guard Station breakwall

Folder 26

  1. Ice boat
  2. Boathouse. End of Coast Guard dock
  3. Boathouse and Coast Guard personnel. End of Coast Guard dock
  4. USCG personnel E. J. Hass, left
  5. Coast Guard Station personnel. Left to right: ?, Capt. George E. Jackson, E.J. Hass, Gil Clemons.

Folder 27

  1. Boathouse at end of dock, Coast Guard Station
  2. Low water at Coast Guard Station. Note track going into water
  3. Low water at Coast Guard Station. Note track going into water
  4. Boathouse dock at Coast Guard Station
  5. Boathouse dock at Coast Guard Station

Folder 28

  1. Boathouse at end of Coast Guard dock
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Boathouse at end of Coasat Guard dock
  4. Coast Guard Station boathouse, dock, and breakwall. Lookout tower at end of what is now (1982) Neuman dock
  5. Boathouse, dock, and breakwall at Coast Guard Station

Folder 29

  1. Signal tower at end of Coast Guard Station breakwall
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Duplicate of 1
  4. Duplicate of 1

Folder 30

  1. Hospital at Marblehead. Later became offices of Kelley Island Lime & Transport Company
  2. Interurban station at Marblehead after a street car went through it
  3. Waterfront. Coast Guard Station

Folder 31

  1. Steamer ARROW. Lake Erie
  2. Steamer CHIPPEWA. Lake Erie
  3. South Bass Island Lighthouse
  4. South Bass Island Lighthouse. Mr. Duggan, keeper, and family
  5. Seagull

Folder 32

  1. Unidentified Coast Guard crew
  2. Duplicate of 1
  3. Duplicate of 1

Folder 33

  1. Marblehead Lighthouse. Built in 1821
  2. Life Saving Station and crew. Left to right: Jim Pokey, Ray Morton, Jim Gordon, Paul Forner, Ernest Hass, Capt. Dan L. Griesser
  3. Ernest J. Hass, about age 36
  4. Life Saving Station Crew. Left to right: Top row: Mr. Harmony, E. J. Hass, Jim Gordon, Mr. Gallagher, Jeremiah Tracy. Bottom row: Gilbert Clemons, Capt. Dan Griesser, Everett Clemons

Folder 34: Printed items

  1. US Department of Agriculture Weather Bureau small craft, storm, and hurricane warnings
  2. Coast Guard Weekly Bulletin, No. 24-27, July 11, 1927
  3. Letter from Capt. E. J. Hass to his daughter Beatrice, describing the Marblehad Station, buildings, boats, apparatus, and a short history, including a list of commanders, crew, and volunteers.

HCGL Manuscript Checklist | Labor Collections | Safety on the Waterways