Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Ivan "Doc" Lake Collection - MS 96
The papers of Ivan "Doc" Lake were part of the University Archives until separated and treated as a manuscript collection in 1980. The papers consist largely of newspaper clippings on the university and printed material about various university functions. The items in the collection date from 1911-1971.
No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection. The collection was arranged and finding aid completed by John Campbell, archival intern, in May 2004.
Ivan "Doc" Lake was born on March 24, 1901 to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Lake in North Baltimore, Ohio. They did not stay long in North Baltimore however, moving to Bowling Green, Ohio two years later. Ivan Lake enrolled at Bowling Green Normal College (now Bowling Green State University) in the year 1919, and later graduated in the 1923.
Ivan "Doc" Lake helped bring several firsts to the university, one of which was the celebration of Homecoming which first was held in 1922. He also coined the name "Falcons" as the mascot and nickname of the university, and also "Bobcats" for Bowling Green High School. Ivan Lake was a member of the first football team to win a game at the university, a member of the first male quartet club, an editor for the Bee Gee News, member of the first glee club, and a member of the Five Brothers Fraternity (and was later instrumental in bringing Sigma Alpha Epsilon to the University).
After his graduation Ivan Lake worked for the Sentinel-Tribune newspaper in Bowling Green as a telegraph editor, sports editor, and the managing editor. Ivan Lake also helped lead the fight against Governor Davey when he wanted to close the university and make it a welfare institution in the1930s. Later on Ivan Lake was secretary and later president of the Alumni Association at BGSU.
Ivan Lake left the Sentinel-Tribune in 1953 to work as a reporter for the San Diego Union in California, and remained there until his death on October 15, 1967.
Much of the Ivan "Doc" Lake Collection lies in the newspaper clippings and the printed material on the university. The newspaper clipping run from the 1910s to 1960s. The printed material consists of information about early university activities dating primarily in the 1920s and 1930s, and copies of the Bee Gee News. However much of this material is scattered throughout those years. The Bee Gee News is primarily from the 1920s, with scattered issues for the 1930s; some of the years included do not have a full run of the paper.
The collection also includes correspondence and manuscripts. The correspondence deals with some early university functions. The manuscripts deal primarily with the history of BGSU and early BGSU activities, a few speeches and a radio play are also included.
NOTES TAKEN AT TRUSTEE MEETING WITH MCDONALD
Handwritten notes possibly taken during a meeting between school board and candidate for BGSU president Ralph McDonald.
CORRESPONDENCE OF IVAN LAKE
Letters to and from Ivan Lake and Robert A. Winter and Don A. Cunningham about the university. Also a letter to and from Mrs. Ivan Lake and Stephen C. Morton about donations of material.
PERSONAL CORRESPONDENCE OF IVAN LAKE
1958, 1959, 1964
Correspondence of Ivan Lake about founding and history of the university.
1911, 1913, 1929, 1934, 1937
Correspondence of university officials and various agencies on the university.
CORRESPONDENCE ABOUT ELECTION OF GOVERNOR
October-November 1940, 1961
Correspondence about the election of the Ohio governor in 1940 between Davey and Bricker.
CORRESPONDENCE OF H.B. WILLIAMS
Contains a questionnaire filled out by a member of the state department of education and a letter about why not to close BGSU.
GOLD MASK FRATERNITY
1922-1936, n.d (scattered)
This contains various financial, membership and correspondence records of the Gold Mask Fraternity.
This contains various news clippings and papers pertaining toward E.L. Mosley and his accomplishments.
Contains various articles and letters about the selection of the second president of the university.
October 15 1921, 1919-1959, n.d.
Various information on the Bowling Green sports program's history and results.
1938, 1923-1928, 1930-1931, 1936-1944, 1947-1948
Includes statistical information on campus buildings as of 1938 and enrollment statistics.
Contains various notes and drafts on the history of BGSU.
EARLY BGSU HISTORY
Several drafts of a manuscript dealing with early BGSU history.
EARLY FRATERNITY HISTORY - BGSU
Several drafts about the early history of fraternities at BGSU.
CLIVE TREECE MANUSCRIPT
Written by Clive Treece, this was what he hoped Bowling Green Normal College would look like in the future.
JAMES LIMBACHER MANUSCRIPT
May 14, 1953
A study of plays BGSU had produced between 1920-1953
May 17, 1938
Part of a script for a radio play called the "Pirates of Penzance"
A reflection written by Suzanne Spearman on her time at BGSU.
1928, April 8 1929
Copy of a speech done by C.D. Perry and H.B. Williams.
1910, 1929, 1935-1936
Early legislation regarding BGSU.
BGSU FINANCIAL/BUDGET STATEMENTS
1923-1925, 1927, 1933, 1935-1940
Collection of financial and budget statements on BGSU
Various news clippings about the Alumni Association
February 22, 1962, January 20, 1963
Two news clippings/articles about Harold Anderson
June 2, 1935
Article about when BGNC was changed to BGU
MISC. NEWS CLIPPINGS - BGSU
1908, 1910-1912, 1914, 1919, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s
Various news clippings related to BGSU
May 20, 1959
Photographs from a newspaper of historic Bowling Green buildings
November 4, 1922, 
Brochures on the 1st homecoming and the varsity club.
TEACHER TRAINING REPORT
A published report on teacher training in Ohio
Vol 2 #4 Summer 1962
A newsletter on Bowling Green sports and athletics
1920-1925, 1929, 1930, 1935 (not complete runs), 1921-1923, 1933, 1935
Bee Gee newspapers and commencement issues
June 10, 1948, 1921-1925, 1927-1931, 1934-1935, 1938, n.d., 1923, 1924, 1941, March 27, 1923
Various programs related to BGSU activities.
2nd Term 1923
An identification card presented to get into BGSU activities.
- Notes on trustee meeting [1950-1951]
- Correspondence of Ivan Lake 1959, 1961, 1971
- Correspondence of Ivan Lake with K.H. McFall on history of BGSU, September 1958
- Correspondence of Ivan Lake with Rose Beatty on founding of BGSU, 1959, 1964
- Correspondence on University 1911, 1913, 1929
- Correspondence between University and Sentinel-Tribune 1934, 1937
- Correspondence/notes regarding Governor Davey and Governor Bricker and University, October-November 1940, 1961
- H.B. Williams correspondence with state Superintendent of Education, May 1933
- Drama - Gold Mask Club-financial, membership, and correspondence records, 1922-1936, n.d, (scattered)
- E.L. Moseley - Papers and clippings about, 1934-1948, n.d., (scattered)
- Selection of President (2nd) July-August 1937
- Draft and notes - Beginnings of athletics at BGSU n.d.
- Sports - Development of basketball-through 1945-1946 season, n.d.
- Sports - Football game with Findlay (151-0) October 15, 1921
- Sports - Football results, 1919-1959
- Sports - Notes on Athletic Hall of Fame n.d.
- Building on campus, May 6, 1938
- Enrollment Statistics 1923-1928, 1930-1931, 1936-1944, 1947-1948
- Draft and notes for historical writings n.d.
- Draft - Normal School Campaign article n.d.
- Draft - History of BGSU - Chapter 1 n.d.
- Draft - Speech - historic facts on founding of fraternities at BGSU, n.d.
- Draft - Beginnings of Fraternities n.d.
- Clive Treece - "The Future BGNC Campus" n.d.
- Historical Study of Full Length Plays at BGSU, 1920-1953 by James Limbacher, May 14, 1953
- Drama - Announcement for radio on University - "Pirates of Penzance", May 17, 1938
- Suzanne Spearman - History of the Class of 1923 n.d.
- H.B. Williams - speech - "A Decade of Growth" 1928
- C.D. Perry - speech - Town and gown April 8, 1929
- Legislation regarding University 1910, 1929, 1935-1936
- Financial and Budget statements - BGSU 1923-1925, 1927, 1933, 1935-1940
- Alumni Association news clippings 1956-1957
- News articles on Harold Anderson February 22, 1962, January 20, 1963
- News article - Toledo Sunday Times - article on BGSU becoming a University, June 2, 1935
- News clippings - misc. on University 1908, 1910-1912, 1914, 1919, 1920s
- News clippings - misc. on University 1930s
- News clippings - misc. on University 1940s, 1950s
- News clippings - misc. on University 1960s
- Newspaper photos of Bowling Green buildings historic shots, May 20, 1959
- Homecoming (1st) brochure/notes November 4, 1922
- Varsity Club brochure on BGNC 
- Teacher Training as a State Function - a report December 1925
- Sports - "Your BG Sports Letter" Vol. 2 #4 Summer 1962
- Bee Gee News 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1929, 1930, 1935 (not complete runs)
- Bee Gee News Commencement Issue 1921, 1922, 1923, 1933, 1935
- Alumni Banquet notes June 10, 1948
- Drama - Production programs 1921-1925, 1927-1931, 1934-1935, 1938, n.d.
- Male Quartet programs 1923, 1924
- Speech Bureau program 1941
- Win - One Club program March 27, 1923
- Summer Session Student Activities Card 2nd Term 1923
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy