Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Ohio Branch of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, Inc. - MS 189 mf
The records of the Ohio Branch of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, Inc., date from 1931 to 1979. The records were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections for the purpose of microfilming by Ann M. Bowers, Curator of Manuscripts for the Center for Archival Collections, with the cooperation of Mrs. Ivan Stearns, president of the Ohio Branch of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, Inc. A microfilm edition of these records is available to the public for research purposes. The register was prepared by Jare R. Cardinal, graduate assistant in the Department of History at Bowling Green State University in October 1981.
The King's Daughters and Sons was founded on January 13, 1886 by Margaret Bottome of New York City, with a membership of ten women. It is a unit of interdenominational Christians dedicated to the development of spiritual life and the stimulation of Christian activities. Through a three-fold program of religion, education, and philanthropy, the organization trains its members as well as others for Christian Service. Today, its thirty-nine branches throughout the United States and Canada support ministries for the aging, handicapped and the underprivileged. The Order has an Indian department which encourages contributions to Native Americans, supports leprosy research, and contributes to American and Foreign Bible Societies. It owns and operates three houses at the Chautauqua Institution in New York and provides scholarships for over forty students for summer courses there.
The Ohio Branch, formed in 1888 and incorporated in 1915, supports the work of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, including leprosy research, Indian scholarships, and student ministries. Each year they sponsor three students at the Chautauqua Institute. The Ohio Branch has maintained an active interest in their statewide project, the Maplecrest Home, located in Bucyrus, Ohio. Founded in 1921 as a home for orphaned or dependent girls, it was converted to a home for elderly women in 1963. Further information concerning the history of this organization can be found in the pamphlet files located at the Center for Archival Collections.
The records of the Ohio Branch of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, Inc., documents the history and functions of the organization between the years 1931 and 1979. The collection consists of Annual Convention Reports and Minutes of the Quarterly Executive Board Meetings, rules of the Ohio Branch and a few pieces of correspondence.
The Annual Convention Reports give a general overview of the organization's activities as well as a detailed financial statement of yearly expenses. The convention brochure, which is also included, lists daily activities such as luncheons, lecture topics and occasionally, handwritten comments about each.
The Quarterly Executive Board Minutes outline these activities in more detail. Committee Reports document such things as contributions of money and materials to Native Americans and foreign missions, the support of ministerial students, and the recommendation and sponsorship of students to summer educational camps at Rock Ledge Inn and later, Chautauqua Institute in New York. Of special interest is the development and support of the Maplecrest Home in Bucyrus, Ohio. Founded in 1921 as a home for orphaned and dependent girls "desiring development of mind and attainment of culture and refinement," Maplecrest remained a home for girls until it was converted to a home for elderly women in 1963. Through these minutes, the researcher can obtain a general idea of this home's growth and how its rules and regulations were altered during the years of its existence.
Early records of this organization, which at this time are unavailable, will be microfilmed at a future date. Contemporary records (1980-present) are still in the possession of the Ohio Branch of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, Inc., and can be made available to the researcher by contacting the organization directly.
EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
October 1931-October 1979
Contains minutes of quarterly business meetings, committee reports, decisions for the maintenance and regulation of the Maplecrest Home, financial statements, and some correspondence.
1939-1951 (scattered), n.d.
Arranged by topic and then chronologically within each group.
Includes organizational rules, rules and correspondence concerning the Maplecrest Home, and a Rock Ledge Inn Report, all of which were originally included in the Executive Board minutes.
ANNUAL CONVENTION REPORTS
October 1959-October 1978
Contains yearly committee statements, Officer Reports, and convention programs
- Minutes of Executive Board Meetings, October 1931-October 1955
- Minutes of Executive Board Meetings, September 1955-December 1972
- Minutes of Executive Board Meetings, March 1973-October 1979
- Annual Convention Reports, October 1959-August 1968
- Annual Convention Reports, October 1968-October 1978
- Miscellaneous items, 1939-1951 (scattered), n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy