Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Patrons of Husbandry. Ohio State Grange: Lake Grange #2205 - MS 205
The records of Lake Grange #2205, Lake Township, Wood County, Ohio, consist of approximately 1.25 linear ft. of minutes, membership applications, and miscellaneous items, dating from 1917 through 1996.
The collection was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections through the cooperation of the Grange during April 1982. Additions were made by Sally Waggoner in December 1999 and Robert Waggoner in 2005 and 2007. This register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, June, 1989 and updated as new accessions were received. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection.
The Grange, organized on a national, state, county, and local level, combines fraternity, ritual, and business with cultural and educational programs. Women have been admitted from the beginning as equal members, and a juvenile grange promotes total family participation in this organization.
The Lake Grange received dispensation to organize by the National Grange on April 1, 1919, with official enrollment with the Ohio State Grange on May 1. There were 41 members in the first class of candidates on May 21 of that year. On June 10, 1925, Lake Grange purchased the old high school for its hall, and continued to meet there until January 19, 1948, when the City of Toledo acquired the property to expand the municipal airport. Construction of a new hall was begun in November, 1948, with dedication taking place on June 5, 1949.
This collection of Grange records will prove useful to those researchers interested in agricultural and rural studies. While the minutes have some gaps, they provide information on officers, membership, dues, programs, and business conducted. However, this information is in more of an outline format than narrative and thus lacks great detail. There are also scattered minute books representing sub-groups such as the Juvenile Grange and a working group for young women. The few membership information comes from a Roll book from 1919 to 1926 that includes a listing of Charter members, loose applications from 1935-1936 that give some information on members, their name, age, and occupation, and a dues account book from 1969 to 1974. The Grange Hall dedication book provides information on the Grange history, and a list of past Masters, and there are several informal histories included that were presented on various anniversaries and special occasions.
MINUTE BOOKS -- SUBORDINATE GRANGE RECORD BOOKS
1919-1939, 1943-1954, 1968-1996
Arranged by unit, then chronologically
Subordinate Grange Record Book, includes officers roll call, committee and business agent reports, bills and receipts, motions and resolutions, program and social activities, membership induction and members sick or in distress.
MINUTES -- LAKE JUVENILE GRANGE #235
MINUTES -- WIMODAUSIS CLUB
Young women's club associated with Lake Grange #2205
MINUTES -- LAKE GRANGE WORKING BAND
1919-1926, 1935-1936, 1969-1982
Roll book from 1919 to 1926, loose applications from 1935-1936, a dues account book from 1969 to 1974, and the quarterly reports on membership between 1969 and 1982. The application forms for membership in Lake Grange #2205, includes name, age, and occupation of applicant.
SUBORDINATE GRANGE INSPECTION
Subordinate Grange Inspection forms
March 18, 1969; June 28, 1978
General letter to Lake Grange membership regarding meeting to approve selling the Grange Hall, and informational correspondence with information about charges against State Grand Master James Ross
1936, 1939, 1944, 1949
Informal histories and memories of the Grange
5 June 1949
Dedication service program, Lake Grange Hall, corner of Ohio Route 795 and Pemberville Road. Program includes history of Lake Grange from 1919-1949.
Distinguished Service Roll Certificates recognizing outstanding service by the local Grange secretary
Snapshots & Clippings by Lester & Velma Berndt
Lake Grange ribbon badge, and button badge from 61st Annual Session, National Grange Convention, Cleveland, Ohio, 1927.
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1919-1923
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1923-1927
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1927-1931
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1932-1936
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1936-1939
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1943-1947
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1947-1950
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1951-1954
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1968-1978
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1978-1989
- Subordinate Grange Record Book, 1989-1996
- Lake Juvenile Grange Minutes, 1923-1927
- Wimodausis Club Minutes, 1948-1963
- Lake Grange Working Band Minutes, 1970-1974
- Lake Grange Roll Book, 1919-1926
- Membership applications, 1935-1936
- Membership address book, 1959
- Dues Book, 1969-1974
- Quarterly reports, 1969-1975
- Quarterly reports, 1976-1982
- Subordinate Grange Inspection forms, 1970-1975
- Correspondence re: Selling the Grange Hall, 1969
- Correspondence re: James Ross, 1978
- Memoir of Lake Grange, by Rose Rideout, 1936
- Twenty years ago : a history of Lake Grange by Eva M. Tracy, 1939
- History of Lake Grange, 1944
- History highlights of Lake Grange no. 2205, by Mabel Bashore, [1949?]
- Lake Grange Hall dedication service, June 5, 1949
- Distinguished Service Roll Certificates, 1973-1977
- Scrapbook - Snapshots & Clippings by Lester & Velma Berndt, 1918-1969
- Miscellaneous Grange badges, n.d., 1927
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy