Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Stephen Catholic Church (Delaware Bend, Ohio) - MS 912 mf
The records of St. Stephen Catholic Church, 1881 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in October 2001, with the cooperation of Father William J. Martin of St. Stephen Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Early records of St. Stephen can be found at St. Mary Catholic Church, Antwerp, Ohio (MS - 898). They include baptisms (1870 - 1884), marriages (1871 - 1879), deaths (1871 - 1881) and first communions (1876).
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in October 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
St. Stephen Catholic Church in Delaware Bend began as a Station of St. Francis de Sales in Toledo in 1846. Between 1848 and 1850, St. Stephen was served by Glandorf and then served by Defiance beginning in 1850. In 1854, the priests of the Precious Blood Society from the Minister Mission Center cared for the Station.
In 1855, the parish built their first church. It was a small log building. With the building of the church the status of the parish was changed from a Station to a Mission.
In 1873, the parish became a Mission of Antwerp. In 1879, the log church was completely destroyed by fire. One year later the present frame church was completed.
In 1888, the parish received its first resident priests, Father Lawrence Heiland.
Over the years the church building went through many renovations. In 1960, it was enlarged into a cross shaped building.
Currently, St. Stephen Catholic Church is a sister parish of Immaculate Conception in Marysdale, Ohio.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 75 - 78.
- Record Book, 1881 - 1909
- First Communions
- Record Book, 1912 - 2001
- First Communions
- Deaths, 1910 - 2001
Roll 2(RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1908 - 1981
- Baptisms, 1981 - 2001
- Marriages, 1908 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy