Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

Good Shepherd Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 357 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of Good Shepherd Catholic Church, 1946 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in February 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend John R. Blaser of Good Shepherd Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, RCIA, marriages*, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Spanish and Latin.

Some of the Good Shepherd Catholic Church records were previously microfilmed in November 1997 with the cooperation of Rev. Jerome Nowakowski. The baptisms were filmed through 1946. First Communions, Confirmations, Marriages and Deaths were filmed through 1963.

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in February 2002.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

The parish of Good Shepherd began with a petition to Bishop Gilmour in 1872. In 1872, many members of St Francis de Sales Church lived on the east side of Maumee, while the church was on the west side. Travel to the church was often difficult. Those living on the east side petitioned the bishop for permission to organize a separate parish. The Bishop granted the petition. In April 1873, Reverend Robert A. Byrne was appointed their resident pastor in charge of organizing the parish. The parish built their first church, school and rectory in 1873.

The parish began building their current church in 1899. It was completed in 1901. Many improvements have been made to the church, school and rectory in the past 100 years.

Through the past years the membership has been declining. In 1911, there were 3000 members. By 1980 there were only 2235 members.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central Section. Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 101 - 105.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Baptisms, 1874-May 1893
  2. Baptisms, May 1893-September 1910
  3. Baptisms, September 1910-1924
  4. Record Book, includes Marriages, 1874-1914, Confirmations, 1917-1963, First Communions, 1917-1963

Roll 2

  1. Marriages, 1873-1950
  2. Deaths, 1901-1963

Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1924-1927
  2. Baptisms, 1927-1946

Roll 4

  1. First Communions, 1963 - 2001
  2. Confirmations, 1963 - 2001
  3. RCIA, 1975 - 2001
  4. Deaths, 1963 - 2002

Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1946 - 1953
  2. Baptisms, 1953 - 1960
  3. Baptisms, 1960 - 1968
  4. Baptisms, 1968 - 1979
  5. Baptisms, 1979 - 2001

Roll 6 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Marriages, 1950 - 1979
  2. Marriages, 1979 - 2001

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Lucas County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location