Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Peter Lutheran Church (Pontiac/Monroeville, Ohio) - MS 436 mf
The records of the St. Peter Lutheran Church, Pontiac/Monroeville, Ohio were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, on August 30, 1985, with the cooperation of Reverend Quentin Battiste and Henry Timman of Norwalk, Ohio. The collection consists of three volumes of church record books, dating from 1859 to 1965, and which linclude lists of members, officers, baptisms, marriages, funerals, and important events in the church's history. Also included in the collection is a pupil register from the Church School, dating from 1864 to 1886.
In March 1993, an addition to the record books and pupil register which covers the period from 1859 to 1965, was transferred to the Center for Archival Collections for microfilming. The addition consists of thirteen items. The first of these is a record book detailing the congregation's membership. The congregation was drawn from the communities of Pontiac, Monroeville, and Havana. Also included are four minute books which chronicle congregational meetings. The first of these is written entirely in German. The second is written in German up until 1915 and thereafter entries were made in English. The collection also includes a typewritten, annotated transcript of the minute books which includes a listing of those persons baptized, confirmed, married, or buried by the church. Researchers trying to translate the Old German script will find this transcript quite useful. Also included is a financial record in which members' names and the amounts they donated to the church were registered.
Activities of the Women's Missionary Society are represented by four items. These items include a list of members from 1915 to 1945, two dramatic works which detail the Society's history and which were written in 1945 and in 1965 as anniversary celebrations, and some further historical noets made in 1975.
Lastly, this collection includes two histories of the church. The first consists of loose leaf typewritten pages whose source is identified as "The Scheid Book." These pages describe the history of the congregation's foundation, its pastorate, and the construction of the church's building. The second of these was a pamphlet produced in 1959 to celebrate the congregation's centennial anniversary.
There are no restrictions on the research use of this collection. The finding aid was prepared by Ann Bowers in September 1985 and an update by Monica Manny in April 1993.
- Church Record Book, 1859-1890
- Church Record Book, 1890-1921
- Church Record Book, 1919-1965
- Church School Pupil Register, 1864-1886
- Record Book (includes baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, and officers), 1842-1993
- Minute Book (written in German), July 5, 1859-September 25, 1898
- Minute Book (written in German through 1914, includes list of members), October 1, 1898-December 7, 1941
- Minute Book, January 6, 1942-December 9, 1973
- Minute Book, (includes constitution, by-laws and history, and record of members' baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and deaths from 1859-1972), March 5, 1915-December 4, 1966
- Minutes, Annotated Transcript (summarizes activities and events included in the first three minute books and includes a typed copy of membership records), 1859-1959
- Financial Record (entries made in German, includes members' names and amounts pledged to and received by the church), May 1, 1880-1908
- Women's Missionary Society, Membership List, 1915-1945
- Women's Missionary Society, Historical Play, 1945
- Women's Missionary Society, Historical Play, 1965
- Women's Missionary Society, Historical Notes, 1975
- History, 1817-1950, 
- History, "The First 100 Years, 1859-1959," 1959
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy