Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

Saint Mary Catholic Church (Norwalk, Ohio) - MS 568 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Mary Catholic Church, 1868 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in October 2001, with the cooperation of Father Nelson G. Beaver of St. Mary Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, deaths and interments. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in November 2001.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

In 1853, Father Nicholas Roupp, the priest from St. Peter Catholic Church in Norwalk, began the process of forming an English-speaking parish in the same town. The formation was intended to separate the English-speaking and German-speaking Catholics attending St. Peter Catholic Church. In 1856, the Bishop of the Diocese approved the formation of St. Mary Catholic Church.

Between 1856 and 1859 the priest from St. Peter Catholic Church, Father Narcissus Ponchel, served both St. Mary and St. Peter Catholic Churches. Father Ponchel served St. Mary church solely from 1859 until his death in September, 1860. For several months the parish was served by a priest from Cleveland. St. Mary Catholic Church received their second resident priest, Father John Quinn, in December 1860.

In 1857, the parish began building its first church. It was completed in 1859 and dedicated to St. Mary in 1860.

In 1875, the parish decided to move the church location to the center of the parish, one mile west of the original church site. The congregation used the original church until the new church was built. Their new church was completed in 1893. In 1905 the parish sold its original church. During the 1940's and 1950's the church was remodeled several times.

In 1970, St. Mary Catholic Church became a sister parish of St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, Peru, Ohio.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 252 - 260.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Baptisms, 1868 - 1910
  2. First Communions, 1885 - 1948
  3. Confirmations, 1893 - 1944
  4. Marriages, 1868 - 1909
  5. Interments, 1885 - 1948

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1910 - 1948
  2. Marriages, 1910 - 1956
  3. Record Book, 1948 - 1962
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  4. Record Book, 1962 - 1977
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  5. Record Book, 1970 - 1982
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  6. Record Book, 1982 - 1996
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  7. Record Book, 1996 - 2001
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Huron County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location