Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Union Corners Club (Sandusky, Ohio) - MS 614
The records of the Union Corners Club date from 1922 to 1974. The history of this organization is reflected in the one-half linear foot of minutes, yearbooks, and scrapbooks. Also included is a paper documenting the history of the Club and two membership books from the Erie County Federation of Women's Clubs.
The records were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in August 1991, through the cooperation of Mrs. Helen Hansen of the Follett House Museum in Sandusky, Ohio. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared by Carolyn Macchia, undergraduate intern, in September 1992.
The Union Corners Club was formed on April 14, 1921, in the parlor of Miss Grace Weaver, for the purpose of organizing a women's literary and community club. The activities of the Club would include discussion of various topics of interest to the members and contributions to community organizations and projects.
The name of the organization was chosen and shortened to the U.C. Club. The members were limited to 15 with no age limit applied. A constitution and bylaws were written which established procedures for voting, membership and dues as well as the structure of the meetings.
The activities of the Union Corners Club have not changed greatly since 1921 according to the records. During the meetings various topics were discussed usually revolving around the home, while the business conducted included donations and fund raisers for community charities and projects.
This collection can be used to illustrate ways in which women broadened their social and literary concerns and became involved in community activities.
The records of the Union Corners Club illustrate aspects of the social and literary development and community service of women in this northwest Ohio community from 1921 to 1974. The collection includes minutes, yearbooks, a history and scrapbooks.
The minutes, which are arranged chronologically from September 1935 to August 1960, provide information on the business conducted and discussions held, as well as membership, dues, and dates and location of the meetings. The history of the Club is detailed in a paper by Viola Fritz Wonnell for the Club's 50th anniversary celebration. She provides an overview of the Club's activities along with personal reminiscences of parties and charitable work. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings from 1943 to 1971, documenting the programs and major events of the Club, along with information on the members.
Also included in this collection are two membership books from the Erie County Federation of Women's Clubs, dating 1945 and 1956.
September 1935-August 1960.
Contains minutes of meetings as recorded by the club secretary membership lists, dues payments and place of meetings.
1922-1925, 1949-1974, n.d. (scattered)
Continas membership lists, places of meetings and programs, officers and committee lists.
MEMBERSHIP BOOK-ERIE COUNTY FEDERATION OF WOMEN'S CLUBS
Includes membership rosters of all women's clubs comprising the federation.
Written by Viola Fritz Wonnell at the 50th anniversary celebration of the Union Corners Club. Contains minutes from meetings, club officers names, activities of members. Constitution is attached.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
Contains newsclippings of the events of the Club, some lists of members and yearbooks, pictures of members traveling abroad. One scrapbook is oversized and located at end of collection
- Minutes, September 1935-September 1948
- Minutes, October 1948-August 1960
- Yearbooks, 1922-1925, 1948-1949, 1951-1964
- Yearbooks, 1964-1966, 1968-1969, 1970-1974, n.d.
- Membership books-Erie County Federation of Women's Clubs, 1945, 1956
- History, 1971
- Scrapbook, 1943-June 1963
- Scrapbook, October 1961-April 1971 (oversized)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy