Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. Oak Leaf Lodge No. 196. Ladies Auxiliary (Dayton, Ohio) - MS 664
The records of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, Oak Leaf Lodge No. 196, Ladies Auxiliary of Dayton, Ohio, include organizational records such as minutes, financial and dues records, and miscellaneous printed material and artifacts.
The records were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in April 1993 through the cooperation of Mrs. Stanley Culler. No restrictions exist on the use of this collection. Duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and research. The register was prepared by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts in May 2004.
A few years after the founding of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen in Oneonta, New York in 1883, the women relatives of members of the St. Clair Lodge no. 241 in Fort Gratiot, Michigan established an auxiliary organization in 1886. Two years later, at the 1888 national convention held in Columbus, Ohio support was given for the official formation of the Ladies Auxiliary, open to wives, mothers, and sisters of Brotherhood members, and on June 19, 1889 the Fort Gratiot women received the first charter.
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Oak Leaf Lodge no. 196, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen was originally chartered on Dec. 13, 1900 in Dayton, Ohio.
In January of 1969, with a labor unification agreement between the Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen, Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and Switchmen's Union of North America, a new organization, the United Transportation Union was formed. The following year the Auxiliaries of the former unions followed suit and on March 10, 1970 a new charter was issued for the Ladies Auxiliary of the United Transportation Union. In 1998, the word "Ladies" was eliminated from the Auxiliary title in recognition of modern workplace situations, allowing membership for male relatives and spouses of female Transportation Union employees.
The records of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, Oak Leaf Lodge No. 196, Ladies Auxiliary of Dayton, Ohio consist primarily of procedural records, including a series of minute books and dues/account ledgers dating from the establishment of the Lodge in 1900.
Although the correspondence consists primarily of printed circulars and notices from the Grand Lodge, there are a few individual letters of inquiry about transferring to the lodge as other groups disbanded in later years. The official correspondence also includes listings of Auxiliary members who have died, including the death dates.
Of particular interest in the minutes, also separately copied into the subject files, is the 1905 account of proceedings of charges of adultery brought by Lodge members against Minnie Trader, resulting with her eventual expulsion.
General minute books; including roll calls in several volumes
ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS
Jan 1956-July 1964
Form booklet with officers listed, noting their absence or presence at specific meetings
Assorted membership material including scattered forms for membership application/readmit/transfer, a national UTU Lodge directory, meeting attendance records, and membership bulletins
CORRESPONDENCE - GRAND LODGE BRT
Printed circulars and form letters related to Lodge business, with some beneficiary notifications on the death of members, and a couple of written inquiries about transfers
CORRESPONDENCE - GRAND LODGE UTU
Printed circulars and form letters related to Lodge business, including membership summaries with death dates
CORRESPONDENCE - OHIO STATE MEETING
Nov 7, 1966-Sept 30, 1967
Correspondence related to the 16th Annual State Meeting held in Dayton, Ohio, Sept 29-30, 1967, including program booklet
CORRESPONDENCE - THANK YOU CARDS
1984, 1986, n.d.
Cards sent in recognition of condolences and donations
EXAMINATION ON RULES, NYCRR
Examination on rules for the government of the Operating Dept., New York Central System, taken by G.E. Morrison
MINNIE TRADER TRIAL
Excerpt copied from Lodge minutes detailing charges of adultery against Sister Minnie Trader. Original located at the end of the minutes volume for 1904-1910
Quarterly, semi-annual, and annual financial report forms
TREASURER'S ADMISSION/INSURANCE FORMS
Blank forms used to submit information for membership or insurance, used by the Lodge treasurers
BOARD OF TRUSTEES ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT
Printed report of the annual audit by the Board of Trustees, Ladies Auxiliary of the United Transportation Union
INTERNATIONAL SECRETARY-TREASURER ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT
Spreadsheet report of the Secretary-Treasurer, Ladies Auxiliary of the United Transportation Union of receipts and expenditures
Daily record of Lodge 196 income and expenditures
DUES LEDGERS/ACCOUNT BOOKS
Cashbook and combined ledger including dues income and other expenses
MISCELLANEOUS FINANCIAL RECORDS
Bank balance and interest statements, passbooks, and dues payments
Charters of Lodge 196 in Dayton and Lodge 530 in Portsmouth (Encapsulated)
1928, 1966, 1971, 1979
Constitution, by-laws, and general rule books of the Ladies Auxiliary, BRT and UTU
Testimony and Arguments on behalf of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen to the President's Emergency Board
Ritual book of the Ladies Auxiliary
Auxiliary Review (v.1, no. 10; v. 4. no.2)
Hymn cards with words for use during funeral and other services
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen Poster (encapsulated)
Rubber stamps, BRT pocket protector, Lodge 196 embossing seal, Bibles used in Lodge ceremonies, and ribbon from Auxiliary no. 328 in Willard Ohio
Hanging cloth banner of Oak Leaf Lodge no. 196
- Minutes, Dec 14, 1900-Dec 21, 1903
- Minutes, Jan 7, 1904-Nov 3, 1910
- Minutes/Roll Call, Nov 16, 1910-Dec 16, 1910; Jan 3, 1901-Mar 16, 1905
- Minutes, Dec 21, 1910-June 17, 1918
- Minutes/Roll Call, July 5, 1936-Dec 16, 1954
- Minutes, Jan 20, 1955-June 15, 1960
- Minutes, July 20, 1960-April 25, 1973
- Minutes, May 23, 1973-Jan 1984
- Roll Call of Officers, Jan 1956-July 1964
- Meeting Attendance, Feb 7, 1968-Feb 24, 1988
- Membership Applications/Readmit/Transfer, 1910-1987
- Lodge Directory, 1988-1989
- Membership Bulletins, Feb 23, 1977-Oct 20, 1987
- Correspondence - Grand Lodge BRT, Aug 1, 1916
- Correspondence - Grand Lodge BRT, Aug 16, 1950-May 10, 1971
- Correspondence - Grand Lodge UTU, Jan 15, 1981-Dec 15, 1983
- Correspondence - Grand Lodge UTU, Feb 1984-Jan 12, 1990
- Correspondence re: 1967 Annual Meeting, Nov 7, 1966-Sept 30, 1967
- Correspondence - Thank you cards, 1984, 1986, n.d.
- Examination on rules for the government of the Operating Dept., 1937, 1947
- Trial of Sister Minnie Trader, 1905
- Treasurer's Quarterly Statements, March 1966-April 1969
- Treasurer's Assessment Statements, March 1975-Sept 1981
- Quarterly Financial Reports, July 20, 1966-May 20, 1983
- Semi-Annual Financial Reports, Jan 1983-Jan 1984
- Annual Financial Report, 1966-1969, 1975-1984
- Treasurer's Admission/Insurance Forms, n.d.
- Report of the Board of Trustees, 1984/1987
- International Secretary/Treasurer's Report, 1987
- Treasurer's Day Book, Jan 1955-Aug 1964
- Treasurer's Day Book, Aug 1964-Jan 1974
- Treasurer's Day Book, Jan 1974-Jan 1984
- Dues Ledger/Account Book, 1900-1902
- Dues Ledger/Account Book, 1903-1905
- Dues Ledger, 1906-1907
- Dues Ledger/Account book, 1905-1910; 1951-1955
- Balance and Interest Statements, 1968-1984
- Savings Books, 1931-1981
- Dues Payment Receipts, 1967-1970
- Constitution and General Rules - L.A., 1928
- Constitution/By-laws - Revisions/Additions, 1966
- Constitution/General Rules - UTU, Jan 1, 1971
- Constitution - United Transportation Union, Sept. 1, 1979
- Testimony and Arguments on behalf of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen to President's Emergency Board, October 1938
- Ritual book, 1966
- Auxiliary Review (v.1, no. 10; v. 4, no.2), 1940; 1942
- Funeral Hymn Cards, n.d.
- Lodge Bibles (2), n.d.
- Conductor's Train Book (blank), n.d.
- Miscellaneous artifacts (Lodge Rubber Stamps, BRT Pocket Protector, Ribbon of BRT Auxiliary no. 328, Willard, Ohio, n.d.
- Oak Leaf Lodge no. 196 Banner, n.d.
- Minutes, July 3, 1918-Jan 4, 1929
- Dues Ledger/Account Book, 1911-1948
- Dues Ledger/Account Book, 1949-1956
- Dues Ledger/Account Book, 1956-1967
- Charter, Lodge no. 196 (Dayton), 1900
- Charter, Lodge 530 (Portsmouth), 1893
- Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen Poster, n.d.
- Lodge seal embosser, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy