Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Veterans of World War I of the U.S.A., Inc.: Wood County Barracks #71 - MS 686
The records of the Veterans of World War I of the U.S.A., Inc., date from the period of 1963 to 1983. It amounts to approximately two-thirds of a linear foot of materials. It contains minutes, membership rosters, and newsletters.
The records of the Veterans of World War I of the U.S.A., Inc., Wood County Barracks #71, were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in May of 1994 by the Wood County Public Library. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purpose of preservation and research. This register was prepared in July of 1994 by Paul Buckingham, Archival Assistant.
The Veterans of World War I of the U.S.A., Inc., is a group of veterans formed in the early 1950's (probably in 1952). The Wood County Barracks #71 was formed in October of 1964. It was one of a number of barracks generally located county by county in Ohio. The charter membership numbered around thirty with average attendance in the 1970s of approximately a dozen members. A Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1965.
The collection of the Veterans of World War I of the U.S.A., Inc., Barracks #71, is concentrated around materials dating from 1964 to 1983. It has three major series of materials.
The first large series is a set of minutes. These minutes date from the beginning of the local barracks in 1964 to 1979. The minutes include financial and attendance records. There also is a set of membership records that largely cover the same period as the minutes.
The second important series is a collection of national newsletters. These are The Torch (1979-1984), and The Voice (January 1980-January 1986). These newsletters detail the goals and problems of the organization.
The third important series is a collection of legal documents of the organization that includes the local and national constitution/by-laws, officer's guides and ritual books. They cover the period from 1963-1977.
Minutes contain various reports including financial report, plus attendance/ roll call records.
Arranged chronologically in two sets, one spiral bound.
Contains membership rosters, cards, and meeting attendance records not included in the Minutes.
Letters are mostly concerned with membership status.
CONVENTION PROGRAM - DEPARTMENT OF OHIO
OHIO SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS' HOME
Includes a list of service projects and a short history.
A newsletter on the memorial and museum.
QUARTER MASTER INFORMATION
Order forms, price lists, and report forms.
Local and National
RESOLUTIONS OF SYMPATHY (blank)
"LOST BATTALION" BULLETIN
THE VOICE NEWSLETTER
January 1980-January 1986.
Incomplete series of the national newsletter.
Miscellaneous topics including perishing memorials and poems to "Buddies."
VETERANS OF WORLD WAR I PINS
Blue lapel pins with VWWI logo; also 1 "7" and 1 "1" representing Barracks #71.
- Minutes/Reports/Roll Call, October 1964-November 1970
- Minutes/Reports/Roll Call, October 1972-June 1975
- Minutes/Reports/Roll Call,January 1975-December 1979
- Minutes/Reports/Roll Call,May 1978-April 1979
- Membership Cards
- Membership Rosters, 1965-1979
- Attendance Registers, October 1964-January 1979, 1982, 1983
- Correspondence, 1967-1982
- Convention Programs, 1977, 1979-1981
- Flag Etiquette
- Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors' Home
- Pershing Memorial, 1980
- Quartermaster Information - Order Forms, Etc.
- Constitution/By-Laws, Local & National, 1963, 1972
- Officer's Guide, 1963, 1972
- Resolutions of Sympathy - Blank
- Ritual Book, 1972, 1977
- "Lost Battalion" - Bulletin, 1969, n.d.
- The Torch - Newsletter
- Volume 24, No. 14, Volume 26, Nos. 5-11, 1979/1980
- Volume 27, Nos. 1, 3-6, 1980/1981
- Volume 28, Nos. 5-10, 1981/1982
- Volume 29, Nos. 1-10, 1982/1983
- Volume 31, Nos. 1-7, 1983/1984
- The Voice - Newsletter, January 1980-January 1986 (incomplete)
- One Box With Pins, 1 "1", 1 "7", 4 VWWI Pins
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy