Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Ely Family Papers (Fayette, Ohio) - MS 787 mf
The Ely Family Papers, Fayette, Ohio were transferred to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, with the cooperation of Susan Hart, Sherwood, Ohio in June 1999. Mrs. Hart is the great-granddaughter of Karl Ely and great-great-granddaughter of Levi Ely.
This collection consists of the correspondence, dairies, manuscripts, certificates and photographs of Levi and Karl Ely. Levi Ely was born in Knox County, Ohio in 1835. As a boy, he moved to Williams County with his family. He taught school until enlisting in the Union Army in 1863, mustering out in July 1865. During the war, he was stationed at Johnson's Island. While six early diaries of Levi's are represented in this collection, any diaries from the Civil War years were missing at the time of filming. In 1866, he was ordained a minister in the Christian Union church and also served as mayor of Fayette. Some examples of his poetry are also found among the papers. Levi Ely died in 1913.
Karl Ely was one of three children of Levi and Sarah Jane (Earick) Ely. Karl was a musician and press agent for John F. Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin Company, a traveling theatrical troupe. Two of his datebooks and numerous clippings document his career with Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin. In later years, Karl Ely worked as a barber.
This register was prepared in August 1999 by Susan Hughes. No restrictions apply to the use of this collection.
- Correspondence - Levi Ely, 1868, 1903
- Correspondence - Karl Ely, 1889, 1890, 1891, 1918
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knight of Pythias and Fraternal Order of Eagles materials 1897-1925, scattered
- Recipes for medicinal ointments, n.d.
- Diaries - Levi Ely, 1856-1859, 1866, 1870
- Poems - Levi Ely, n.d.
- Theatrical Datebooks - Karl Ely, 1900-1902
- Musical Manuscript - Karl Ely, n.d.
- Newsclippings, 1913, n.d.
- Teacher's Certificates - Levi Ely, 1856, 1860, 1865
- Marriage Certificates - Levi Ely and Sarah Jane Earick, 1860
- Election Certificate - Levi Ely, 1886
- Barber Certificate - Karl Ely, 1926
- Photographs, 1912-1915, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy