Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Salem United Church of Christ (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 793 mf
Selected records of Salem United Church of Christ, Toledo Ohio (MS-793) were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Doreen Knoderer.
The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. For restrictions on the use of this collection please see the accompanying Note to Researchers.
The collection consists of one church record book (1893 - 1996); one pastoral record book (1959 - 2000); nine record books of the Dorcas Bible Class, also known at various times as the Golden Rule Class, the Live Wire Class, and the Irene Schuetze Sunday School Class (1918 - 1996); two record books of the Women's Missionary Society (1911 - 1923, 1935 - 1945); four record books of the Ladies Aid Society (1924 -1946, 1954 - 1961); and miscellaneous printed material and photographs of all of the above. Many of the early entries in these documents are written in German; the rest are written in English.
This introduction was prepared by John McWatters in May 2000.
Salem United Church of Christ, located in Toledo Ohio at the corner of Stebbins and Prouty Streets, existed from 1893 - 2000. During that time, the church underwent several reorganizations and name changes.
Originally created in 1893 as a mission of Toledo's First Reformed Church, the Evangelical Reformed Salem Church was formally organized on July 25, 1893 with Rev. John Wernly serving as its first pastor. In early 1894 the church was incorporated as the Second Evangelical Reformed Salem Church of Toledo, but changed its name to Second German Evangelical Reformed Church in 1903. Around 1920 it became Salem Reformed Church, a name it kept until 1934 when, following the merging of the Evangelical Church of North America with the Reformed Church of the United States, it became Salem Evangelical & Reformed Church. Finally, in 1960, following the union of the Evangelical & Reformed Church with the Congregational Christian Church, the church became known as Salem United Church of Christ. The church retained this name through early 2000, when it ceased to exist.
This church history was prepared by John McWatters in May 2000. Information for this history was excerpted from " A History of Salem United Church of Christ 1893 - 1999," author unknown.
Several dedicated groups served the congregation and the surrounding community at various times throughout the existence of the church. Among these were the Ladies Aid Society, formed by 13 women in 1893, the Dorcas Bible Class, created in 1918 as the Golden Rule Class and also known briefly as the Live Wire Class, and the Women's Missionary Society.
- Record Book, July 25, 1893 - July 28, 1996
(Pastoral Register; List of Deacons; List of Elders; Members Received; Baptisms; Confirmations; Marriages; Communions; Deaths/Funerals; Payment Records; Family Registers; Church Chronicle; Miscellaneous Information)
- Pastoral Record, July 15, 1959 - Feb. 22, 2000
(Baptisms; Members Received; Marriages; Deaths/Funerals; Ordinations)
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; May 1, 1918 - Dec. 3, 1919
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; Feb. 3, 1920 - March 7, 1922
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; April 4, 1922 - Dec. 17, 1935
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; Jan. 7, 1936 - Dec. 14, 1943
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; Jan. 4, 1944 - Dec. 18, 1951
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; Jan. 8, 1952 - June 7, 1960
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; Sept. 9, 1960 - April 3, 1977
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; May 3, 1977 - Sept. 6, 1994
- Dorcas Bible Class Record Book; Oct. 4, 1994 - April 29, 1996
- Dorcas Bible Class 56th Anniversary Booklet, May 1, 1974
- Ladies Aid Society Record Book; Feb. 7, 1924 - Dec. 1, 1932
- Ladies Aid Society Record Book; Jan. 6, 1933 - Dec. 5, 1940
- Ladies Aid Society Record Book; Jan. 2, 1941 - May 2, 1946
- Ladies Aid Society Record Book; Jan. 21, 1954 - Jan. 4, 1962
- Ladies Aid Society Constitution and By-Laws; 1925
- Ladies Aid Society Institutional History; Sept. 10, 1893 - ?
- Woman's Missionary Society Record Book; March 7, 1911 - March 14, 1923
- Woman's Missionary Society Record Book; Jan. 3, 1935 - Jan. 1, 1946
- Woman's Missionary Society, 4th Annual Session Minutes;April 11 - 12, 1928
(Ladies Aid Society, 1945; Dorcas Bible Class, 1958 or 1959; Dorcas Bible Class, 1958 or 1959)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy