Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Boniface Catholic Church (Oak Harbor, Ohio) - MS 814 mf
The records of St. Boniface Catholic Church, 1866 - 2000, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections in December 2000, with the cooperation of Father James E. Peiffer of St. Boniface Catholic Church and Frank Beier of the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio.
Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.
This register and this collection were prepared by Kathy Gardner and Rachel Charter in December 2000.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
St. Boniface Parish was organized in 1845 by Father Amadeus Rappe. Mass was offered at this time in the homes of various members of the church. Priests from Toledo, Fremont, Port Clinton and Elmore came to Oak Harbor to minister to parishioners in the area. When the congregation increased services were held in a school building and old Lutheran church. In 1872, a church was built on the southwest corner at the intersection of Church and Oak Streets by Father William McMahon. A parish school was started by Father Hyacinthe Kalopp in 1874 but was soon closed due to lack of support and poor attendance. Father G. H. Rieken added a parish house in 1880. In 1886 the church was enlarged and a new school was erected. The new school lasted until 1895 when it was closed for lack of support.
Father John Baumgartner arrived at St. Boniface in 1902 and began a fund drive to build a new church. Ground was finally broke for the new church in 1915 and the first mass was celebrated in 1917. It was around this time that St. Joseph's Church, Toussaint, Ohio was detached from St. Boniface Parish. St. Joseph's had been attached to the parish until a new Toussaint church could be built. After the new St. Boniface church was built the old church was converted into a school and Sisters residence. This new school closed in 1928 and did not reopen due to the small number of students. On June 14, 1964 construction was begun on the new school building which opened in 1966.
The Source: Saint Boniface Parish, Oak Harbor, Ohio (1845-1971)
- Record Book
Baptisms, 1866 - 1893
First Communions, 1893 - 1920
Confirmations, 1894 - 1920
School Children in Town/Country, 1897
- Baptisms, 1893 - 1930
- First Communions, 1921 - 1969
- First Communions, 1969 - 2000
- Confirmations, 1922 - 1998
- Confirmations, 2000
- Record Book
Marriages, 1874 - 1930
Death/Interments, 1880 - 1996
- Deaths, 1996 - 2000
Roll 2 (RESTRICTED ACCESS)
- Baptisms, 1931-1955
- Baptisms, 1955-1984
- Baptisms, 1984-2000
- Marriages, 1931-1995
- Marriages, 1996-2000
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy