Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. Ann Catholic Church (Fremont, Ohio) - MS 837 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Ann Catholic Church 1841 - 2001, including the records of the Missions and Stations: St. Joseph of Green Springs, Immaculate Conception of Port Clinton, and St. Mary of Clyde, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2001, with the cooperation of Father Gerald J. Chmiel of St. Ann Catholic Church and Frank Beier of the Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio.

The collection consists of baptisms * first communions, confirmations, marriages * and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some records are in Latin, Spanish or French.

This register and this collection were prepared by Jennifer Golis in March 2001.

* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

St. Ann Catholic Church began as a Station of Detroit in 1823. The parish continued in this capacity until 1831, when it became a Station of Tiffin. In January 1841, Father Projectus Machebeuf was appointed their first resident pastor, but in May 1841 Father Machebeuf left St. Ann and went to Sandusky and St. Ann became a Station of Sandusky.

In 1843, St. Ann's first church was completed. In 1846, Fremont became a Mission of Toledo and in 1848 they became a Mission of Tiffin. St. Ann's second resident pastor was Father William Nightingale. He began his appointment in August 1848. During 1853 - 1857, St. Mary of Clyde was a Station of St. Ann. In April 1857, the Bishop of the Diocese withdrew their pastor over a dispute among the nationalities of the parish.

In 1857, Bishop Rappe allowed St. Ann to become a Mission of the new St. Joseph Catholic Church. During this time St. Joseph of Green Springs (1857 - 1861), Immaculate Conception of Port Clinton (1859 - 1861), and St. Mary of Clyde (1858 - 1860) were also Stations or Missions of St. Joseph of Fremont.

St. Ann was appointed a resident pastor in March 1861, but Father Louis Molon only stayed until July 1861. Between 1872 and 1877 the parish built its first school. The current school was built in 1924. In 1889, the present day church was built.

Sources: History of the Diocese of Toledo, Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Record Book, 1841 - 1856
    • Baptism
    • Confirmation
    • Marriage
    • Death
  2. Record Book, 1844 - 1877
    • (St. Joseph - Green Springs; Immaculate Conception - Port Clinton; St. Mary - Clyde; St. Ann - Fremont)
    • Baptism
    • Confirmation
    • Marriage
    • Death
  3. Record Book, 1878 - 1948
    • Baptism
    • First Communion
    • Confirmation
    • Marriage
    • Death
  4. First Communion, 1947 - 2000
  5. Confirmation, 1950 - 1999
  6. Death Index, 1947 - 2001
  7. Death, 1947 - 2001

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptism, 1909 - 1935
  2. Baptism, 1935 - 1947
  3. Baptism, 1947 - 1955
  4. Baptism, 1955 - 1963
  5. Baptism, 1963 - 1977
  6. Baptism, 1977 - 2001

Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Marriage, 1909 - 1947
  2. Marriage, 1947 - 1988
  3. Marriage, 1988 - 2000

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Sandusky County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location