Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Holy Rosary Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 857 mf
The records of Holy Rosary Catholic Church, 1901 - 2001, which include St. Ignatius Catholic Church 1901 - 1918, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in May 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend Frank K. Eckart of Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Toledo, Ohio.
The collection consists of baptisms * , first communions, confirmations, marriages * , interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in May 2001.
* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The union of St. Ignatius Catholic Church and Holy Rosary Slovak Catholic Church established the present day Holy Rosary Catholic Church. The two churches were united to solve the problems of debt that plagued St. Ignatius Catholic Church.
St. Ignatius Catholic Church was established in 1901 in East Toledo. The parish church was built in 1902 and their first resident pastor was Father Leo Broens. During the sixteen years of the parish the church was plagued by debts and almost declared bankruptcy. As a solution to the problem the Sanguinist Fathers that administered the parish decided to merge with the Holy Rosary Slovak Church.
Holy Rosary Slovak Church was organized in 1906. The parish was established to serve the Slovak people in East Toledo. The parish was a Mission of St. Mary Magdalene Church in Rossford until 1912 when their first church was completed. And they received their first resident pastor, Father Anthony Pirnat.
On July 25, 1918, the bishop of the Dioceses officially declared the union of St. Ignatius and Holy Rosary Slovak Church to be known as Holy Rosary Church. All of the debts incurred by St. Ignatius were taken over by Holy Rosary Church.
In 1938, a fire destroyed the Holy Rosary parish church. In 1939, the new church-school combination was completed. In 1958, the current church was built to accommodate the rapidly growing congregation.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central Section. Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 26 - 28 and147 - 150.
St. Ignatius Catholic Church
- Baptisms, 1901 - 1918
- Record Book, 1903 - 1917
- First Communions
- Marriages, 1901 - 1911
- Marriages, 1908 - 1918
- Deaths, 1901 - 1918
Holy Rosary Slovak Catholic Church
- Record Book, 1907 - 1918
- Baptisms, 1906 - 1918
- Marriages, 1907 - 1918
Holy Rosary Catholic Church
- Record Book, 1919 - 1948
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1949 - 1999
- First Communions, 1999 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1952 - 2001
- Deaths, 1918 - 1996
- Deaths, 1996 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1918 - 1939
- Baptisms, 1939 - 1959
- Baptisms, 1959 - 1981
- Baptisms, 1982 - 1999
- Baptisms, 2000 - 2001
- Marriages, 1918 - 1952
- Marriages, 1952 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy