Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church (Defiance, Ohio) - MS 872 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 1850 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in July 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend George E. Wenzinger of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Defiance, Ohio.

The collection consists of baptisms * , first communions, confirmations, catechumens, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in July 2001.

* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church began as a Station of Toledo in 1841. Their first church was built in the fall of 1844. The parish received their first resident pastor in November 1850. His name was Father Lois J. Filiere. When the parish received their resident pastor they became a Mission center. The parish served Napoleon, Poplar Ridge, Germaine Township, Delaware Bend, North Ridge, Hicksville, Archbold, Wauseon, Junction and Clarksville.

In 1856, the parish built their second church to accommodate the growing number of Catholics in the area.

In August of 1869, the number of catholic families in Defiance had grown to one hundred. It was decided by the Bishop of the Cleveland Diocese to split the parish into two separate churches. The new parish was called Our Lady of Perpetual Help. St. John was considered the German parish and the new parish was for the English speaking Catholics.

The present church was built in 1895 to serve the growing congregation. The previous church had been remodeled, but still did not meet the needs of the church.

Throughout the years the church served many Missions and Stations around Northwest Ohio.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 59 - 65.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Record Book, 1850 - 1878
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  2. Record Book, 1878 - 1923
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  3. Baptisms, 1852 - 1892
  4. Baptisms, 1893 - 1924
  5. First Communions, 1924 - 1967
  6. First Communions, 1968 - 1997

Roll 2

  1. First Communions, 1998 - 2001
  2. Confirmations, 1926 - 1955
  3. Confirmations, 1958 - 2001
  4. Register of Catechumens, 1998 - 2000
  5. Marriages, 1854 - 1914
  6. Deaths, 1859 - 1916
  7. Interments, 1914 - 2001

Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1924 - 1948
  2. Baptisms, 1949 - 1958
  3. Baptisms, 1958 - 1979
  4. Baptisms, 1979 - 1990
  5. Baptisms, 1991 - 2001

Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Marriages, 1914 - 1951
  2. Marriages, 1952 - 1989
  3. Marriages, 1989 - 2001

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Defiance County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location