Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 874 mf
The records of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church, 1841 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in July 2001, with the cooperation of Sister Kathleen Scott, LCM of St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church, Toledo, Ohio.
The collection consists of baptisms * , first communions, confirmations, marriages * , interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) There is a record book for the St. Joseph Syrian - Lebanese Melkite Mission include in this collection because for several years this parish met at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church. Their records are from 1929 - 1954.
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in July 2001.
* There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
St. Mary Catholic Church in Tiffin began to attend stations in Maumee and along the canal in 1831. It is not known if there were many Catholics in Toledo during this time, but if there were St. Mary would have attended to them.
Reverend Amadeus Rappe was appointed first pastor of Toledo in 1841. The first church was a purchased Presbyterian frame meeting house on Superior Street. Once the resident pastor and church was established, Toledo began to serve the Missions and Stations in Lucas, Paulding, Williams, and Defiance county. Reverend Rappe remained at St. Francis de Sales church until 1847. Since then there have been a number of priests and sisters that have served the parish.
In 1849, St. Francis de Sales was enlarged to include the Germans of Toledo. The current church was built in 1870.
Beginning in 1859, the parish of St. Francis de Sales began dividing into other parishes. The first division came in 1859 when St. Mary Catholic Church was established. In 1898 the parish of St. Ann was established and in 1900 the parish of St. Michael was formed.
When the Diocese of Toledo was established in 1910, St. Francis de Sales was named the cathedral Church. It remained the Cathedral until 1940 when the new Holy Rosary Cathedral was dedicated.
St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church was the first Catholic Church in Toledo and is considered the mother parish of Toledo.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central Section. Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 136 - 146.
St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church
- Record Book, 1841 - 1862
- Baptisms, 1854 - 1864
- Baptisms, 1864 - 1875
- Baptisms, 1875 - 1892
- Baptisms, 1892 - 1917
- Baptisms, 1917 - 1932
- First Communions, 1916 - 1949
- First Communions, 1946 - 2000
- Confirmations, 1863 - 1885
- Confirmations, 1895 - 1939
- Confirmations, 1940 - 2000
- Marriages, 1848 - 1875
- Marriages, 1875 - 1908
- Interments, 1843 - 1948
- Deaths, 1843 - 1925
- Deaths, 1926 - 1945
- Deaths, 1941 - 1960
- Deaths, 1960 - 2001
Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1932 - 1951
- Baptisms, 1951 - 1975
- Baptisms, 1975 - 2001
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Marriages, 1908 - 1936
- Marriages, 1936 - 1998
- St. Joseph Syrian - Lebanese Melkite Mission--Record Book
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy