Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Rose Catholic Church (Lima, Ohio) - MS 893 mf
The records of St. Rose Catholic Church, 1858 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in August 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend Chris Vasko of St. Rose Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, sick call register, marriages*, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) There are no death records for the years of 1901 - 1930 in any of the books. The church has put a note in the record book for the years 1893 - 1952 regarding these deaths.
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in September 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The building of the railroad through Lima between 1850 and 1855 increased the Catholic population in the city. The Catholics of Lima were served, in the early years, as a Station of St. Mary church in Tiffin and the Minster Mission Center in Auglaize County.
In 1858, the first Catholic Church of Lima was completed. This was the establishment of the St. Rose Catholic Church. The parish received their first resident pastor, Father Edward Murphy, in 1861.
In 1870, the parish began to outgrow their present church and began constructing a new church. The church was completed in 1872. This church was enlarged in 1892.
The Catholic population in Lima grew steadily over the years and by 1901 the Diocese decided to create new parishes in Lima. St. John Church was established in 1901 and St. Gerard Church was established in 1916. In 1953, St. Charles parish was created.
Despite the creation of new parishes in Lima, St. Rose Catholic Church has continued to grow.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 50 - 54.
- Record Book, 1858 - 1878
- Record Book, 1893 - 1952
- Historical Sketch
- First Communions
- Baptisms, 1886 - 1896
- Baptisms, 1896 - 1907
- Baptisms, 1907 - 1920
- Baptisms, 1920 - 1927
- First Communions, 1909 - 1999
- First Communions, 2000 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1893 - 1953
- Confirmations, 1953 - 1999
- Confirmations, 2000 - 2001
- Marriages, 1858 - 1885
- Marriages, 1886 - 1930
- Sick Call Register, 1938 - 1967
- Deaths, 1952 - 1993
- Deaths, 1993 - 2001
Roll 4 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1927 - 1936
- Baptisms, 1936 - 1943
- Baptisms, 1943 - 1950
- Baptisms, 1950 - 1957
- Baptisms, 1957 - 1965
Roll 5 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1966 - 1980
- Baptisms, 1981 - 2001
- Marriages, 1930 - 1960
- Marriages, 1960 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy