Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Michael Catholic Church (Marywood, Ohio) - MS 903 mf
The records of St. Michael Catholic Church, 1841 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in September 2001, with the cooperation of Father John Nagele of St. Michael Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, deaths and interments. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in October 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
German Catholics began moving into Thompson Settlement in 1832. By 1834, there were 30 German Catholic families living in the settlement. In that same year St. Michael became a Station of Peru. From 1834 through 1844, St. Michael was attended by many priests from neighboring parishes. In 1839, the parish built its first church and its status was changed from a Station to a Mission.
In 1845, the Convent of Mary of the Angels was built. This was the second convent built in northwest Ohio. Later that same year the parish received its first resident priest and St. Michael became a Mission center, serving nearby Stations and Missions.
The congregation continued to grow and the original log church was replaced by a larger brick building. The new church was completed in 1849. One year later the Shrine of the Sorrowful Mother was completed.
As the Catholic population of the area continued to expand, the parish of St. Michael was split up and two Missions were created. Both St. Sebastian in Bismark and Assumption in Reed were created and served by the priests of St. Michael Catholic Church.
In 1883, the parish felt the need to build a larger church again and their present church was completed in 1884. It was a large brick church built in the gothic style.
In 1938, the area of Thompson was renamed Marywood. It was named this because of the large convent, church and shrine found in the town.
Today, St. Michael still remains a sister parish of Bismark and Reed.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 136 - 139.
- Record Book, 1835 - 1883
- Membership Lists
- Financial Records
- Record Book, 1852 - 1897
- Baptisms, 1841 - 1862
- Baptisms, 1852 - 1896
- First Communions, 1895 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1875 - 1893
- Confirmations, 1897 - 2001
- Interments, 1895 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1841 - 1981
- Baptisms, 1981 - 2001
- Marriages, 1895 - 1980
- Marriages, 1980 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy