Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church (New London, Ohio) - MS 917 mf
The records of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 1909 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in October 2001, with the cooperation of Father Robert L. Haas of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in October 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church began as a Station of Elyria in 1853. In 1863, the parish became a Station of Grafton. In 1865, a small frame house on a small lot was purchased and turned into a church. This changed the status of the parish from a Station to a Mission. In 1872, the church became a Mission of Shelby Settlement. In that same year the parish purchased another frame house and turned that into their second church. In 1876, the Mission of Our Lady of Lourdes was transferred to Shelby. In 1878, it was transferred again, this time to Wellington.
In 1900, the parish built their third church. It was a small frame church on a larger lot of land. Between 1902 and 1920, various priests from several churches served this Mission. In 1920, the parish became a Mission of Oberlin.
Finally in 1931 the parish received their first resident pastor, Father Raymond Atkins. In 1936, the parish purchased its fourth, and current church. They purchased a former Congregational Church and remodeled it for use by a Catholic Church. This church was enlarged in 1949.
The membership of the parish continues to grow at a steady rate.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 252 - 256.
- First Communions, 1986 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1959 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Record Book, 1909 - 1964
- First Communions
- Record Book, 1964 - 2001
- First Communions
- Baptisms, 1989 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy