Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. Nicholas Catholic Church (Miller City, Ohio) - MS 920 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Nicholas Catholic Church, 1899 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in November 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend A. Robert DeSloover of St. Nicholas Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in December 2001.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

The parish of St. Nicholas Catholic Church was formed as a Mission by New Cleveland in 1886. In this same year the parish built a church. The church was placed under the patronage of St. Nicholas.

In 1891, the Mission of St. Nicholas was transferred to St. Mary Catholic Church in Leipsic.

On September 4, 1898 the church was heavily damaged by lightning. The parish decided to build a new church. The new church was completed in 1902.

During the building of the second church, St. Nicholas parish received their first resident pastor. His name was Reverend Charles Wagner.

On March 9, 1918 the second church was destroyed by a tornado. The parish immediately began building a new church. The new church was completed in 1919. This church building is still in use today.

In August 1978, the parish of Holy Family Catholic Church in New Cleveland became a sister parish of St. Nicholas. They remain sister parishes to this day.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 167 - 169.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Baptisms, 1899 - 1908
  2. Record Book, 1903 - 1981
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  3. First Communions, 1968 - 1982
  4. Interments, 1899 - 1983

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Record Book, 1982 - 2001
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  2. Baptisms, 1909 - 1947
  3. Baptisms, 1947 - 1983
  4. Marriages, 1909 - 1982

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Putnam County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location