Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

Holy Family Catholic Church (New Cleveland, Ohio) - MS 921 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of Holy Family Catholic Church, 1862 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in November 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend A. Robert DeSloover of Holy Family Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in December 2001.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

In 1859, a small group of German Catholics living in New Cleveland organized a parish and built a church. After the church was built the parish became a Mission of Glandorf.

In 1873, the parish received their first resident pastor, Reverend Charles Barbier. One of his first tasks was to build a rectory. During his pastorate he also built the first school for the parish. Once he became the pastor, the parish began serving the Missions of Leipsic and Miller City. These two parishes remained a mission of St. Nicholas Catholic Church until 1891.

In 1916, the parish completed the building of their second church. They chose to build a new church because they were outgrowing the old one. The old church was moved to the back of the property until it was destroyed in 1918.

In 1978, the parish of New Cleveland lost its resident pastor and became a sister parish of St. Nicholas Catholic Church in Miller City. The two parishes remain sister parishes to the present day.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 169 - 171.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Record Book, 1862 - 1914
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  2. Record Book, 1863 - 1912
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
  3. Record Book, 1916 - 1982
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  4. Deaths, 1863 - 1983

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Record Book, 1983 - 2001
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  2. Baptisms, 1880 - 1948
  3. Baptisms, 1949 - 1983
  4. Marriages, 1908 - 1982

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Putnam County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location