Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. Michael Catholic Church (Kalida, Ohio) - MS 923 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Michael Catholic Church, 1879 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in November 2001, with the cooperation of Reverend Scott Kramer of St. Michael Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in December 2001.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

The history of St. Michael Catholic Church began with the pioneers Catholics at Kalida wanting to have a church of their own. Originally, Catholics in Kalida had to attend Mass in Glandorf. In 1861, the Catholics in Kalida built a small church. The church interior was not completed and the building was abandoned.

In 1877, there was renewed interest in establishing a church. In this year the Catholics at Kalida began building another church. Once the church was completed it was attended alternatively from Ottoville and Fort Jennings.

The Precious Blood Fathers from Glandorf cared for the Mission beginning in 1888. The Mission began to grow rapidly and in 1894 the church was enlarged.

In 1900, St. Michael Catholic Church received their first resident priest. His name was Father Valentine Shirack.

In 1926, the parish completed their current church. The church building is a brick church modeled after the Romanesque style of Northern Italy.

In 1948, the Mission of St. Isidore Catholic Church, Cuba was put under the care of St. Michael Catholic Church. They remain sister parishes to this day.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 160 - 163.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Baptisms, 1879 - 1920
  2. Record Book, 1888 - 1934
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  3. Record Book, 1935 - 1950
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  4. First Communions, 1946 - 1982
  5. First Communions, 1982 - 2001
  6. Confirmations, 1947 - 1987
  7. Confirmations, 1987 - 2001
  8. Deaths, 1888 - 1951
  9. Deaths, 1946 - 2001

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1920 - 1951
  2. Baptisms, 1951 - 1977

Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1977 - 2001
  2. Marriages, 1879 - 1951
  3. Marriages, 1946 - 2001

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Putnam County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location