Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

Sacred Heart Catholic Church (New Bavaria, Ohio) - MS 926 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 1849 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in January 2002, with the cooperation of Father Stephen Stanbery of Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, Book of the Elect, marriages*, interments and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.

This register and collection were prepared by Brenda Ransom in January 2002.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

In 1843, Father Amadeus Rappe, priest of St. Francis de Sales in Toledo, began serving the Catholics in New Bavaria, then called Poplar Ridge. The community remained a Station of Toledo until 1850, when Poplar Ridge became a Mission of Defiance. The first church in Poplar Ridge was a log chapel built about two miles east of the village in 1847.

Sacred Heart's first resident pastor was Father A. Magenhann, who was appointed in July 1861. He was reassigned a year later, and the parish was a Mission of Defiance under Father Aloysius Hoeffel. The second resident pastor, Father Charles Barbier, began the erection of a frame church in 1865. Neither Father Barbier nor his successor, Father Joseph Reinhardt, were able to complete the structure because of financial issues and discord among the congregation. It was later completed during the term of Father Nicholas Moes, who was pastor of the parish from 1867-1873.

After the church was destroyed by fire in 1886, a temporary frame structure was erected while plans began for a permanent church. The structure was still standing in 1972 and was known as the "Old Chapel." The new brick church was built after Father J. A. Michenfelder raised a subscription of $17,000. It was dedicated in 1888.

After the 1886 fire, the people of Hamler, Holgate, and North Creek petitioned for their own churches. The communities then became Missions of New Bavaria. North Creek, which built its own church in 1887, again became a Mission of Sacred Heart in 1976. A school was operated at Sacred Heart from 1890 to 1970.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 116 - 121.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Record Book, 1849 - 1909
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Interments
  2. Baptisms, 1905 - 1932
  3. First Communions, 1911 - 2001
  4. Confirmations, 1912 - 2000
  5. Book of the Elect, 1984
  6. Interments, 1909 - 1923
  7. Cemetery Register, 1923 - 1992
  8. Deaths, 1924 - 2001

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1933 - 1987
  2. Baptisms, 1987 - 2001
  3. Marriages, 1909 - 1992
  4. Marriages, 1992 - 2001

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Henry County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location