Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. Mary Catholic Church (Holgate, Ohio) - MS 928 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Mary Catholic Church, 1889 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in January 2002, with the cooperation of Father Stephen Stanbery of St. Mary Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, Catechumens, First Penance, Book of the Elect, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.

There are no death records found at the church before 1960. According to the current priest, Father Stanbery, they have been missing. This was confirmed by the previous priest, Father Kill.

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in December 2001.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

St. Mary Catholic Church in Holgate began as a Mission of New Bavaria in 1886. In this same year the Holgate parish received permission to build a church of their own. The priest from New Bavaria came once a month to give Mass.

St. Mary Catholic Church received their first resident priest in January 1889. His name was Reverend Francis T. Moran. Father Moran left Holgate after two months of service. Between March and June of 1889, Holgate was a Mission of New Bavaria again. In June, Holgate received another resident pastor.

Once Holgate had a full time resident pastor, the parish began to care for several Missions and Stations. These Missions and Stations included Hamler, North Creek, Providence, Continental, DuPont and Pleasant Bend.

On April 10, 1919 the church building was completely destroyed by a fire. The church hall was used as a temporary church until the new building was completed in 1922.

Beginning in June of 1970, St. Mary Catholic Church was reassigned the Mission of Hamler. Holgate is currently a sister parish of St. Paul Catholic Church in Hamler.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Central and Central Sections. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 108 - 111.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Record Book, 1893 - 1913
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  2. Record Book, 1893 - 1957
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
  3. First Communions, 1918 - 1959
  4. First Communions, 1993 - 2001
  5. Confirmations, 1989 - 1999
  6. Record Book, 1977 - 2001
    • Register of Catechumens
    • First Penance
  7. Book of the Elect, 1984 - 1997

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Record Book, 1960 - 2001
    • Baptisms
    • First Communions
    • Confirmations
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  2. Baptisms (Includes the Missions of Hamler, North Creek, Continental, Providence, and Pleasant Bend), 1889 - 1959
  3. Baptisms, 1977 - 2001
  4. Marriages (Includes the Missions of Hamler, North Creek, Continental, Providence, and Pleasant Bend), 1889 - 1959
  5. Marriages, 1994 - 2001

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Henry County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location