Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. Hyacinth Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 931 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Hyacinth Catholic Church, 1927 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in January 2002, with the cooperation of Father Jonathan C. Wight of St. Hyacinth Catholic Church.

The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.

This collection contains First Communion records (1929 - 1931) and a Confirmation record (1930) for the Mission of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Toledo, Ohio.

This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in December 2001.

*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.

 Agency History

The parish of St. Hyacinth in Toledo was formed in July of 1927. It was established to provide services to the outlying portion of St. Stanislaus parish in Toledo. Members of St. Hyacinth attended a separate mass at St. Stanislaus Church until their church building was complete in December of 1927.

Beginning in mid-1927, St. Hyacinth parish began caring for the Mission of Our Lady of Lourdes. St. Hyacinth parish served this Mission until they received a resident pastor in September of 1931.

The growth of the congregation for the parish of St. Hyacinth was very rapid. In 1927, there were 100 families attending mass. By 1935, there were 1100 members. By 1947, there were 3155 members. Due to this rapid growth the parish began to erect a new building in 1959. The new building was completed in May of 1960. Beginning in 1972 there was a decline in the parish membership. This was primarily due to a shift in the population of Toledo in the 1970's.

The new church building was severely damaged twice since its completion. The first time was in 1981 when there was a flood in Toledo. The second time came in 1984, when there was a fire. After the fire, the church was completely renovated.

Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central Section. Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 48 - 50.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. First Communions (Mission of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church), 1928 - 2001
  2. Confirmations (Mission of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church), 1930 - 2001
  3. Deaths, 1931 - 1986
  4. Deaths, 1986 - 2002

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Baptisms, 1927 - 1951
  2. Baptisms, 1951 - 1971
  3. Baptisms, 1971 - 2001
  4. Marriages, 1927 - 1972
  5. Marriages, 1928 - 1957
  6. Marriages, 1973 - 2001

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Lucas County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location