Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Charles Catholic Church (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 932 mf
The records of St. Charles Catholic Church, 1903 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in January 2002, with the cooperation of Father Thomas J. Extejt of St. Charles Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in January 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
Beginning in late 1902, the Catholics living in the territory now served by St. Charles Catholic Church petitioned Bishop Ignatius Horstmann to have a church of their own. Bishop Horstmann granted the petition on January 18, 1903. Father Charles Herr was appointed their first resident pastor.
The parish used a blacksmith shop at the corner of Lake Shore Avenue and Wayne Street as a temporary place of worship. The parish began building their combination church and school in March of 1903. Mass was first offered on December 25, 1903. The school opened in 1904.
The congregation of St. Charles continued to grow despite the creation of several new parishes that cut into the territory served by St. Charles Catholic Church. These parishes are St. James Catholic Church, Our lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church, St. Jude Catholic Church and St. Patrick of Heatherdowns.
The parish began building a new school in 1963 and it was completed in 1964. The parish also began building a new church in August of 1964. It was completed in 1965.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. West Central Section. Toledo and Lucas County. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 131 - 133.
- Baptisms, 1903 - 1922
- First Communions, 1929 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1904 - 1997
- Confirmations, 1997 - 2001
- Deaths, 1928 - 1973
- Deaths, 1973 - 2002
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1923 - 1942
- Baptisms, 1942 - 1951
- Baptisms, 1951 - 1959
- Baptisms, 1959 - 1969
- Baptisms, 1969 - 1981
Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1981 - 2001
- Baptisms, 2001 - 2001
- Marriages, 1903 - 1960
- Marriages, 1960 - 2001
- Marriages, 2001 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy