Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church (Stryker, Ohio) - MS 948 mf
The records of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 1965 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend Gary M. Ferguson of St. John Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*,, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in April 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
The parish of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Stryker began as a Station of Defiance in 1850. The care of the Station was transferred to Providence in 1854.
The parish completed their first church in 1861. In this same year the parish, now a Mission, began being served by Defiance. This relationship lasted until 1865, when they received their first resident pastor, Reverend Nicholas Kirch. St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church was given the care of several Missions, including Archbold and Edgerton. The parish lost their resident pastor in 1870 and became a Mission of Edgerton. The Mission of St. John the Evangelist was transferred to Archbold in 1882.
The parish built their current church in 1956. The old church was sold and moved to another location. The parish of St. John the Evangelist is considered to be the smallest in the Diocese.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 201 - 204.
Roll 1 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Record Book, 1965 - 2001
- First Communions
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy