Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Joseph Catholic Church (Blakeslee, Ohio) - MS 950 mf
The records of St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1884 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend Frederick J. Duschl of St. Joseph Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, record of initiation and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin.
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in April 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
Originally this parish was known as Florence instead of Blakeslee because the early Catholic settlers who formed this parish were from Florence. The parish began as a Mission of Stryker in 1865. In that same year the parish completed the erection of a church building. In 1867, care for this Mission was passed on to Edgerton. The care of the parish was transferred back to Stryker in 1869. It was transferred back to Edgerton in 1870. It remained under the care of Edgerton until 1912, except for a brief period of time between June, 1898 and January, 1899 when Blakeslee had a resident priest.
A fire destroyed the first church in March of 1881. Their second church was completed in 1887. A third church had to be built in 1907 because the foundation of the second church was unsafe. This third church is still in use.
In 1912, St. Joseph Catholic Church received a resident pastor. When they received their resident pastor they served the Mission of Montpelier. These parishes remain sister parish through the present.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 190 - 192.
- Record Book, 1884 - 1945
- Record Book, 1903 - 1944
- First Communions
- First Communions, 1944 - 1998
- Confirmations, 1943 - 1996
- Record of Initiation, 1981 - 2001
- Deaths, 1953 - 2002
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Record Book, 1981 - 2001
- First Communions
- Baptisms, 1912 - 1983
- Marriages, 1884- 1994
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy