Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

St. Anthony's Orphanage (Toledo, Ohio) - MS 1058 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of St. Anthony's Orphanage, 1855 - 1972, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in March 2007, with the cooperation of Peter Ueberroth, archivist for The Catholic Diocese of Toledo.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. For restrictions on the use of this collection please see the accompanying Note to Researchers.

The collection consists seven volumes (1855 - 1972). See Order of Microfilm for complete list.

Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series.

This collection was prepared by Kathy Gardner in April 2007.

 Agency History

The Grey Nuns of Montreal arrived in Toledo on October 27, 1855. Father Augustine Campion, second pastor of St. Frances de Sales Church, obtained the consent, not easily, of Bishop Amadeus Rappe, Bishop of Cleveland for the Grey Nuns to establish a school, hospital and orphanage in Toledo. On November 12, 1855 the Grey Nuns took possession of the Wall House, a small two-story house on Superior near Cherry Streets. The nuns gave it the name of St. Vincent Asylum and Hospital. On November 12, 1855 they received their first orphans.

On January 1, 1901 the orphanage was separated from the hospital and given to the Diocese of Cleveland although the Grey Nuns continued to staff and operate it. A new building on Cherry Street near the hospital was constructed and dedicated on October 27, 1907, the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the Grey Nuns in Toledo. To avoid confusion with the hospital the name of the orphanage was changed to St. Anthony's Orphanage.

In June 1951 the Grey Nuns announced that they could no longer staff St. Anthony's Orphanage. The Sisters of St. Francis in Tiffin took over the operation. In 1958 the name of the orphanage was changed to St. Anthony's Villa.

St. Vincent's Hospital began a renovation program to update and expand the hospital in 1961 that included razing the Cherry Street wing of the hospital and orphanage building. St. Anthony's Villa moved from its Cherry Street location to a newer facility on Central Avenue when St. Vincent's Hospital began its expansion program in 1961. The orphanage closed its doors for good in 1984.

This history was provided by Peter Ueberroth, archivist for the Catholic Diocese of Toledo. The first three paragraphs were taken from A History of St. Vincent Medical Center, 1855-1995 by Edward F. Ockuly, MD.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Index to Register, 1855 - 1915
  2. Register of Admissions, 1855 - 1915
  3. Placement Record, 1915 - 1921
  4. Record Book
    • Baptisms, 1901 - 1918
    • First Communions, 1915 - 1926
  5. Confirmations, 1906 - 1917
  6. Confirmations, 1906 - 1981
  7. Record Book
    • Baptisms, 1915 - 1920
    • First Communions, 1914 - 1965
    • Confirmations, 1915 - 1953

Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)

  1. Register of Admissions, 1916-1983
  2. Record Books, 1923-1983

Roman Catholic Churches | Access to Diocese Records | Lucas County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Clergy & Missions