Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

Good Shepherd United Methodist Church (North Baltimore, Ohio) - MS 1077 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of the Good Shepherd United Methodist Church, North Baltimore, Ohio were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Pastor Susan Kronbach and the assistance of Cheryl Kunkle.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. For restrictions on the duplication of this collection please see the accompanying Note to Researchers.

This collection consists of a family record from a Bible, one circuit book, two journals, four church record books, and one set of membership cards. The collection spans from 1808 - 1995. The record books contain membership records, church officials, pastoral records, baptisms, marriages, deaths, and funerals.

This introduction was prepared by Mary Bowles in October 2007.

 Agency History

The congregation first met in a school house on land given by George Chase in the little town of Denver. A charter was granted by the State of Ohio for the church in 1861. After the B & O Railroad built a depot to the east, Denver declined and the town of New Baltimore was established. Since there was already another town named New Baltimore, the name was changed to North Baltimore. A church was built in 1872. Since it was the first established church in Henry Township, the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations also used the facility for a short period of time. This facility was dedicated in 1874.

In 1955, plans were made to remodel and build additions to the church. However, due to the condition of the building, this plan was not deemed viable and the edifice had to be torn down in order to build a new church on the same location. The First Evangelical United Brethren Church held its' first service in the new church on March 30, 1960 and it was dedicated on July 10, 1960.

In 1964 the First Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with the First Methodist Church. On the national level, the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist denominations merged in Dallas, Texas on April 21, 1968. At this time, the name of the local church was changed to Church of the Good Shepherd, United Methodist.

The above history was compiled based on information obtained from the Good Shepherd United Methodist Church Membership Record (1964 - 1995), item nine on this roll.

 Order of Microfilming

Reel 1

  1. Family Record from the Bible belonging to Mary McCabe Cope, 1808-1942, 1951
    • Births
    • Marriages
    • Deaths
  2. Circuit Book of North Baltimore Circuit United Brethren Church, 1889-1918
    • Memberships
    • Baptisms
  3. Reverend John W. Shock Journal for North Baltimore and Toledo, 1923-1929
    • Memberships
    • Baptisms
    • Funerals
    • Weddings
  4. Reverend John W. Shock Journal for Defiance, Hoytville, South Liberty, and Retirement, 1941-1952
    • Memberships
    • Baptisms
    • Funerals
    • Weddings
  5. Church Record for United Brethren in Christ, 1921-1943
    • Memberships
    • Church Officials
    • Baptisms
  6. Church Membership Record for United Brethren in Christ, 1940-1958, 1960
    • Memberships
    • Baptisms
    • Weddings
    • Funerals
  7. Church Membership, 1931 - 1972
    • Family Memberships
  8. Family Membership Cards, 1960 - 1980
    • Family Memberships
  9. Membership Record, 1964 - 1995
    • Full Memberships
    • Historical Record
    • Record of Pastors
    • Record of Members
    • Marriages
    • Baptisms
    • Deaths
    • Statistical Record

United Methodist Churches | Wood County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location