Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage

Tiro United Methodist Church (Tiro, Ohio) - MS 1037 mf

Introduction | Agency History | Order of Microfilming

 Introduction

The records of Tiro United Methodist Church, Tiro, Ohio, 1937 - 2005, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio with the cooperation of Carol Pry and Mary Fox.

The Center for Archival Collections is the publisher of this microfilm edition. The camera negative is the property of the Center for Archival Collections. For restrictions on the use of this collection please see the accompanying Note to Researchers.

The collection consists of three record books which include memberships, marriages, baptisms, deaths and other historical records.

This introduction was prepared by Kathy Gardner in April 2006.

 Agency History

In 1877, a group of United Brethren, led by Rev. O. H. Ramsey, organized a congregation in the newly settled village of DeKalb Station. The church was called DeKalb United Brethren in Christ. The village name was later changed to Tiro, but the church kept the name DeKalb United Brethren.

A frame building was erected on Hilborn Ave., east of the main road. The church constitution specified that the church was “to be open for use by any orthodox Christian congregation when not in use by the United Brethrens.”

In the early years the church was pastored by circuit riders who made the rounds of several area churches. As the congregation grew and prospered, there was a need for a permanent pastor and a parsonage was begun in 1901 just east of the church. It was completed in 1902.

The congregation soon outgrew the small building and in 1910 a Presbyterian church on Sherman Street in Tiro was for sale. Arrangements were completed in the next two years and the DeKalb United Brethren congregation moved into their new larger quarters and incorporated as Mt. Carmel United Brethren.

In 1946, a church merger with the Evangelical churches changed the name to Evangelical United Brethren. Another merger in the 1960s with the Methodist churches resulted in the name change to Tiro United Methodist Church.

The above history was prepared by Carol Pry.

 Order of Microfilming

Roll 1

  1. Record Book (Tiro Church of the United Brethren), 1937-1956
  2. Record Book (Evangelical United Brethren Church of Tiro), 1937-1994
  3. Record Book (Tiro United Methodist Church), 1922-2005

United Methodist Churches | Crawford County Churches
Manuscripts by Subject | Churches by Denomination | Churches by Location