Center for Archival Collections

Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage

Lizzie Marrot Diary - MMS 332


January 1892 February 1892 March 1892

January 1892

Friday, Jan. 1, 1892.
New Year's Day. Another year has glided, oh so swiftly. How quick the years come and go. It seems to me they go faster now then they used to. '91 has passed from us forever. The New Year dawned a beautiful day, but in the afternoon it clouded up and my how hard it did rain and in the evening too. I passed a couple of pleasant hours over to Georgia's this morning. Mary Beardsley was there too. We were sitting in the parlor having a god time, Georgia had just been playing and had left the piano, and sat on the opposite side of the room with her back to the door. We were enjoying ourselves most highly, when there came a rap at the door. As Mary and I sat in front of the glass door, she glanced up and saw it was the minister who has been holding those protracted meetings. After a great deal of delay, Georgia went to the door, he watching us all this while. He came in talked about the New Year and other subjects and finally came down to the one which had brought him there. He said he was going to try and visit every home in Kipton. He asked each one of us if we were Christians, then read a portion of Scripture from the Bible which he carried and at last offered a prayer. Praying we would stay away from the dance to-night and come to meeting. Of course sheep's eyes were cast from one to the other then. Before he left, he found I was a stranger in town, and most humbly begged pardon and hoped he had not intruded by thinking me as a resident. Mrs. Breckenridge joined us after he had gone. I took a nap after dinner. Mrs. Sheffield came down at half past two, so then I arose. She remained until half past four, the time being pleasantly spent, then she bid me good-bye, for to-morrow I must go. Georgia and Miss Whitney a sister to the gentleman I met Wednesday Evening called about eight. Earlier in the evening I went up to Minnie's and told her that Georgia had wished to stop. Uncle Henry lighted us over to the hall, it was so dark and stormy. There was a large crowd in spite of bad weather, and the evening was an enjoyable one to all. I only danced once, and did not care about it then. It is something which I do not know anything about. Besides I had felt miserable all the afternoon, so had Aunt Mary. We came away about two o'clock, and goodness, how it was raining. Thus, my last night was spent in Kipton for perhaps many a day. Minnie made me promise to write after I reached home, to which I readily consented. Georgia said she would be down to the depot to-morrow when I went.

Saturday, Jan. 2, '92.
This has been a pleasant winter's day, but rather cold. Aunt Mary and I went over to see Mrs. Hesser this morning before I went, and from there I went over to Maud's a few minutes. When I came home, it was time for me to commence to prepare for leaving. Mrs. Hesser came in about 11 o'clock and gave me a very pretty handkerchief, one which she had made herself, it is just for fancy use. We started for the depot about half past 12, so as to visit awhile with Mr. Prentiss as Aunt Mary said. The train is not due until ten minutes after one. The time however was not long in passing, and as I bid them good-bye, and stepped aboard the train, I was soon leaving a second home far behind, perhaps never again to return, and if the time comes when I shall, it may be for many a long day. I had only one short week to remain for we expect school to commence Monday and I must be home to that. Though they were all sorry I must go so soon, they all were glad to have me come if it was only for a short time. I myself was happy to think I could, for when I thought of all three happy weeks I spent there in the summer of '90, it made me homesick to revisit the scenes of those days. Now my visit has been and ended, and I wonder when it shall be my lot to retrace my steps, what changes, what vissitudes shall have taken place, both in that quiet little town, and in my native place, between now and then. Georgia was not at the station. Afterwards I found out in a letter she was taken sick that day, and was obliged to remain from school two weeks. I being busy with my thoughts and musings, it was not long however before the train reached the Union Depot at Cleveland. I having promised to stop at Jessie's on my return home, looked anxiously among the many strange faces in the depot to see if there should not be one which I might recognize. But seeing none, I proceeded up Bank & Fresk to take a St. Clair car. I was not long in reaching Jessie's and of course found them at home. They were surprised at seeing me along, as Minnie had gone to the station to meet me. But she went Superior St., and I came St. Clair, so I missed of her. The remainder of the day was passed very pleasantly. Jess and I went out a while in the evening, and goodness what a horrible blizzard came up.

Sunday, Jan. 3, '92.
We did not go any place to-day as it was cold and the snow was deep from the effects of the storm last evening. As I had agreed to go home on the evening train, which left Cleveland at 8:20 about, Jess and I started for the depot at seven so as to get there before dark and we had two miles to go, as this train does not stop at the Shops. So we took a Superior car and soon reached the depot. Jessie and I were in the waiting home, when I was startled by some on speaking to me, and looking around found it was J.P. who had come to meet me as agreed. After the introduction, we three visited until train time, then we had to separate. The train is like time, one can become impatient with its seemingly slowness, but it glides stealthily along and has reached the end before you are aware of it almost. So it was soon in Hudson once more, and thought it had only been a few days since I had left it, yet I had enjoyed myself immensely during the days that had intervened, but for all of that I was glad to return again. Uncle Will and Emma met me. J.P. left me at the gate and it was ten o'clock then.

So ended my visit to Kipton, and though I am writing this last account of it many months afterward, I need only say that I can write it now just as well as I could that evening for it is just as fresh in my memory. I have never been there since. How many, many changes since the happenings of this day. I am now penning this, Sunday, May 2d, 1893. at 127 North Cleveland Avenue, Canton, Ohio. I am very lonesome to-day and wish I could see home. It is my first Sunday away from home. I have not recorded regularly from this on nor do I remember the occurrences. So I will write down what I do remember, and the snatches of writing which I have written and kept.

A pleasant day passed here and there which has been remembered, or written carelessly on some fly-sheet as I was wont to do.

[Passage for Jan. 9 moved here from its original location between entries for February 2 and 3]

Saturday, Jan. 9, 92.
This has been a very cold day. I was at home and busy all day. Our piano came from Kent about half past four. It is indeed a very pretty one, and we are wholly delighted with it.

Sunday, Jan. 24, '92.
This has been a lovely day. Uncle Will and Emma went sleigh-riding as far as Peninsula this afternoon. About three o'clock J.P. called at the house to see if I would not like to take a sleigh-ride. He said, they had a double rig and his sister and her husband were going and would like to have me go also. Though I had never met J.P.'s sister and her husband yet I accepted their kindness, and he said he would cal. In about a half hour he drove up to the door, and from home we went to his sister's. After the introductions were over we started. We drove by the school-house up Aurora St. Till we came to the road where Minnie and I went, that pleasant day on the 9th of Sept. 1891. We turned the corner at Mr. Doud'es and followed the same road from which we observed such a beautiful view of Hudson, and oh how differently it all looked now to what it did then. To-day wrapped in the beauties of winter, then in that beautiful month of September, when the leaves had just commenced to turn. At this point J.P. handed me the reins to drive. This was the first time I had ever had the lines of two horses in my hand. (Ah, me, how many times have I had them since then.) When we came to the cross-roads instead of turning to come back home as Minnie and I did, We drove to Twinsburg. Of the two roads leading to the right form that town, we took the fartherest, drove over the bridge, across the Connelton R.R. as far as the foot of that high hill then into a yard to turn around, and came back home. We passed Carrie Westfield and Sade Shively two or three times enjoying the sleighing. I went in Mr. France's a while and at six o'clock J.P. and I went slowly homeward, and in the evening we went to church. The day was passed very pleasantly.

February 1892

Tuesday, Feb. 2, '92.
It rained to-day. I went to school. After school I took my music lesson.

Wednesday, Feb. 3, '92.
This has been a gloomy day. It snowed some. I went to school. J.P. was at the window as I passed along. In the evening I carelessly placed my shawl around my shoulders, and J.P. and I walked around the square.

Thursday, Feb. 4, '92.
This has been a pleasant day. I went to school. J.P. was sitting at the window as I passed along. When school was out, Delphine, Grace and I walked as far as the corner, when I left them. I promised Delphine I would go down after her to go to the Lecture to-night. When I reached home, I had considerable work to do. At sever o'clock I left the house to meet Delphine. J.P. was at the window working, and as I passed through the gate, the swinging attracted his attentions. He came to the door as I turned the corner. I then walked a short distance back and he went into the office and in a couple of minutes joined me. We went up town then down to Delphine's. After waiting a while she was ready and we came down to the Hall. J.P. left us at the Adelphian Hall steps to return to his work. We sat in Section B near the back part of the room. This lecture is the fifth one of the course. The subject was "Substantial Pleasures", by Will Mains of Boston, a young fellow not yet twenty years of age. Everyone enjoyed it. It was indeed a very interesting discourse. After it was over, Delphine and I parted at the hall steps. I reached home about 9:30. J.P. was down to meet the half past nine train at the depot, where he has to go at that time every night. I was sitting by my window when he came back. He stood on the platform a long while and in the doorway of his office, watching for me to come home, but I had come. At last he came to the conclusion I had returned, and went in to his work. After remaining where I was a while longer, I left him still at his window busily working, and then retired myself. --------

March 1892

The following was penned one Sunday in Sept. '93 at 48 Lippert St. Canton.

Tuesday, Mch. 1, '92.
It has been a very stormy cold day. Snowed the greater part of the time. March has come in like a lion, so according to the old adage, it will go out like lamb. I went to school. J.P. was sitting by the window as I passed along. In the evening he came across and spent it with me, until nearly time for the half past nine to come. After school this afternoon we had to remain a while to practice the pieces which are to open and close the entertainment. After that I went as far as the corner on the north side of the school house with Delphine and Alice Spencer, when I left them to go to Miss Bristol's to take my music lesson. From there I went down town.

Wednesday, March 2, '92.
This has been a pleasant day. J.P. went home from work about 7 o'clock this morning. I had to go to Mrs. Billiter's before school, and as I had nearly reached the school gate, he came across the road from Mrs. Ellsworth's. I had no time to stop as the bell was ringing. After school I went up town. I spent my evening in writing.

Thursday, March 3, '92.
This has been a pleasant day. As I passed along to school, J.P. was at the window at home. Brother Will is 19 years old to-day. Dora Rosst spent most of the afternoon and evening at home. I was not there in the afternoon, but we had a real pleasant time in the evening. Mr. Seese told us to-day, there would be no more school this week as he is sick and has been so all of the week, and needs not for a while.

Friday, March 4, 1892.
This has been a gloomy day and rainy to. J.P. came down to the office about half past eight to walk to school with me, not knowing there would be none. I was sitting by the window sewing, so when he started for home, I raised the window. He wanted me to go over to Mrs. Vance's and spend the day, but I could not then, so he made me promise "to come over this afternoon and be sure not to forget and come as soon as I could." Of course I consented, for the time is always passed pleasantly when I go over there. My morning was spent in sewing and at two o'clock I went as I had agreed. When the school bell rang at half past three, we watched the children coming home from school, the thought then came to me, how lonesome for me to see life about that old school house and to hear the bell ringing, and I who for years have been one to assemble there, was not at present in the midst of the accustomed place and group, and that one short year from that time I would know and mingle in its pleasures no more. The joys and bright dreams of girlhood's happy school days will have then passed from me forever. These thoughts in a moment or two flitted through my mind, and I soon recalled myself again to the company in which I was. At four o'clock I went up to Miss Bristol's to take my music lesson. They wanted me to come back and take supper and spend the evening, but I could not accept of their kindness and I had made arrangements to be at home. J.P. walked to Miss Bristol's with me, when after I was through I went down town. He came over in the evening.

Saturday, March 5, 1892,
It had been rather pleasant to-day. I was working all day. I was busy with the breakfast this morning, when glancing up out of the window what was my surprise but to see G.H.G. on the back platform of Caboose 6, on a passing freight train. It was one of the freights which comes through at 6 o'clock, but this morning they were late. I have not seen him before for a long time. I was sitting by the window sewing, about 11 o'clock, when he again passed, just the caboose and engine going toward Cleveland. I went up town this afternoon and bought me a pair of shoes at MR. Cook'es $3.50. I stopped into Mrs. Billiter's coming home, to get the waist she has been making for me. I spent my evening in writing.

Sunday, March 6, 1892.
This has been a pleasant day. I went to church and remained to Sunday School. The Desciple Church was dedicated to-day. I thought perhaps I should go there to service this morning, so I went around that way, but when I reached there instead of turning across, I changed my mind and went to our own. Grace Pontius and I were in the Bible class again to-day, throughout Sunday School. J.P. was sitting by the window at his house as I went along to church, and of course I was recognized. He came down to the office at half past two this afternoon and we went to the services at the Desciple Church at three. Delphine sat behind me. We went home with Mrs. Vance, she being there also. It was then nearly five o'clock. I told the folks at home that I should return about 5:30, but nothing would do but I must remain to tea with them, so I did. About 6:30 we came down home. Mrs. Vance wished to have me come back and spend the evening with her instead of going to church, as Mr. Vance himself intended to go, and she would be alone, so we did as she requested. As we passed the church we could see how very crowded it was, but ladies and gentlemen were obliged to stand. The evening passed away very pleasantly. Coming home we came down the south walk of the school house, the moon had just commenced to shine and the evening was pleasant. It was about 10 o'clock when I reached home. Mrs. Vance made me promise to bring one of my pictures over in the morning when I came to school. One year ago to-day I went to Cleveland. How well I remember all.

The following is being penned Wednesday Evening, September 27, 1893, at 48 Lippert St., Canton, O.

Monday, Mch. 7, 1892.
This has been a very pleasant day. I went to school. On my way there this morning, I called at Mrs. Vance's and gave her my picture, as she made me promise last night I would. J.P. went home from work about 6:30. He was at the house when I went over. Just as I was ready for going back to school at noon, the pay car pulled up, so I had his company back to the school house gate at noon. We walked up on the south side, our time being limited. There are to be immersing services at the Desciple Church to-night and Mrs. Vance told me, if I went to call for her, but I did not say definitely I should go. But when evening came, I did, so J.P. walked over with me but she had gone, not being certain whether I would come or not. So he left me at the church crossing, and I went in, I cared not the least about it though. Ella Wolcott, who since that day has become the wife of my Cousin Leu, was the only one immersed. I passed Walker as I was coming out of church. J.P. was watching at the office door for me coming back. He came across to the gate a few minutes.

Tuesday, March 8, '92.
This has been a pleasant day. J.P. was sitting at the window as I passed along to school. I went immediately to Miss Bristol's after school and from there down town. I was just coming through the gate this evening as J.P. was coming to work. He said he felt quite sure of going to-morrow evening. He came over and spent his spare time with me this evening.

Wednesday, M (at this point my attention was called Wednesday Eve. of Sept. 27, '93, while in the midst of the above writing, to a large fire over at the Fair ground, which I could see plainly from the window near where I sat, so I ended my writing for the evening and we went over to it.)

I will now attempt to write some more to-night, October 23, 1893, Tuesday, at 48 Lippert St., Canton. Will commence where I left off at my last endeavor.

Wednesday, March 9 1892.
It has been cloudy to-day. I went to school. J.P. was at the window as I passed. Delphine was not present to-day. After school I went up town with Grace Pontius. Our school entertainment, and the last lecture of our winter services takes place to-night. J.P. called at 7 for me to go, and we waited until about 7:30, then we went, and goodness, how it did rain while we were going to the hall. It was raining some when we left the house, so we were a little prepared. When we reached the hall after a pleasant (?) time with the umbrella, and a still more pleasant (?) one concerning Nos. 67 and 68 seats in Section C, we were at last comfortably (?) seated. The entertainment was a success, and everything passed off pleasantly. Delphine delivered her declamation very nicely, and so did Emma and Blanins Minnick, in fact everything was done about to perfection. Florence and Charlie sat behind us, Earnest Fletcher and Alice Farewell, George Lockhart and Alice Shields occupied the same seat with Florence and Charlie; and Bessie Pettingell and Daughtery, and Lottie Blackburn and Ray Miller say in front of us. Walker and several of his companions were two seats behind us. After the entertainment was over, we remained talking a few moments with Mr. and Mrs. Coolman, until Emma came, then we started for home. The moon shown beautifully, and it was a very pretty night after such a storm. The half past nine train was just rounding the curve as we neared Mr. Buss'es store, and how pretty it looked in the moonlight, with its head lights and brightly lighted coaches. When we reached home, J.P. came in and remained about an hour. I remember so well the remark I made as we neared our corner, "that I supposed the next time that I would enter the old Adelphian Hall, would be for the purpose of attending our Commencement exercises." Ah, if we only knew the future. I had then entered the Adelphian Hall for the last time. Before many weeks had gone by, yes, before the close of April had come, the Adelphian Hall was in ruins, it having succumbed to Hudson's destructive fire. ~~~ Mrs. Vance gave J.P. a boquet of white geraniums and sent one over for me to wear.

Friday Evening, Oct. 27, 1893, at 48 Lippert St., Canton, Ohio - The following was here and then penned.

Wednesday, March 16, 1892.
This has been a beautiful day. I went to school. J.P. was at the window as I passed. I was talking with Mrs. Peeples and Mrs. Bailey as I went along. Delphine Grace Pontius and I walked down from school at noon. We four in the corner, had lots of fun this afternoon, and Ray Ellsworth was kind enough to bring in the ink bottle. After school Grace Pontius, Grace McCauley, Delphine and I came down together. As Delphine had to go to the grist mill, I had her company so much farther. When I reached home I found the folks purchasing rugs. Kit Devers came in about 5 o'clock and we decided we would go to the Desciple Church this evening, as they are going to hold Baptismal services at that time. I had to go to Mrs. McNeil's on an errand, and from there to Mrs. Billiters. I met J.P. at our corner just coming to work. He turned and walked to both places with me, but left me at Mrs. Billiters gate, as I would not go back immediately. When I came home, Kit was waiting for me to go to church. The services were interesting, and four were immersed; May Cassell, Art Sprague, Fred Porter and Fred Grist. They sang to-night, the hymn which I enjoyed so much Monday evening, - "For you I am praying." It was about a quarter of nine when we reached home. Kit left me at our gate. J.P. was watching for our coming, and when he saw us he came across a few minutes. Mrs. Vance sent word over by him for me to come over and spend the evening, but I had promised Kit to go with her, and this I told him when I saw him earlier in the evening, was the cause of my not going, but Kit and I had a splendid time nevertheless. So he asked me to come over to-morrow after school and remain the evening, and that that was Mrs. Vance's desire also. She would like to have me remain all night if possible, as Mr. Vance is away for a few days at present; "but I must be sure and come over after school."

Thursday, March 17, 1892.
This has been a cold day. I went to school. J.P. was sitting by the window as I went along. This being St. Patrick's Day, I picked a bunch of geranium leaves and tied them with a piece of green cloth and took them to school. I divided up with Delphine, and tore the cloth into, to tie them with, then we pinned them on us. Ethel Jones, Alice Shields and Bess Pettingell said they would get them some badges at noon to celebrate the remainder of the day. So when school called at noon, they each had a large rose made from green tissue paper, fastened to a large geranium leaf, pinned on them. Delphine and I left our leaves off and had only the green cloth, I having obtained a larger piece at noon, and fastened it with my pin at my throat. We had a "heap" of fun over those badges to-day and really they did look laughable. After school Delphine left me at Mrs. Vance's where I found a hearty welcome as I always do. The evening was a very pleasant one indeed. Of course J.P. had to go to his work, and lingeringly he went. He said he would come back for me about nine, as I told him that was the time at which I thought I had better return home. Later in the evening, Mrs. Finch, Tena Stratton and Lena Wendling came in. True to his word, J.P. came back at half past eight, and about nine we left for home. Earlier in the afternoon he asked me if he might not have my St. Patrick's badge, and the one over which we had such a good time in school to-day, to keep; so I untied it and gave part to him, and the other part I kept myself, which I shall endeavor to retain as a keep sake. Quite a heavy snow fell this evening.

The following is being penned Tuesday afternoon, January 23, 1894, at the C.C. & S.R.R. Depot, Canton, Ohio.

Friday, March 18, 1892.
This has been a cold wintry day. On my way to school this morning, I had to stop into Mrs. McNeil's. As I came out J.P. was just passing, and he said he had been coming behind me all the way; but really I had no idea or thought of such, until he told me. He walked to the school gate on the north side, when the bell commenced to ring, so I had to leave him. After school, as I was going down town with Delphine, Carrie Westfield chanced to be going too, so we three went together. After leaving Delphine, Carrie walked as far as Miss Bristol's with me, where I had to go t take my lesson. On my way home, I stopped into Mrs. Bailey's, and after spending a very pleasant hour, I came home. J.P. spent the evening with me at home. Grace McCauley and I changed seats this morning; we both sit together in a double seat, but we changed sides.

Saturday March 19, 1892.
This has been a very, very stormy day. It has blown blizzard's and snowed all day long. J.P. came over this evening. He wants me to come over to-morrow from church and the spend the afternoon and evening with them. I told him I could not go before the middle of the afternoon. "Well," he said, they would be sorry and he too, but if that was the most convenient time, he would come over for me about three o clock." I wrote a letter to Uncle Henry and Aunt Mary. I let J.P. read the recordings of Christmas '91 this evening. We were talking about to-morrow being the first of spring, and I wanted to see what kind of a day it was a year ago, so that is how I happened to bring my writings out.

Sunday, March 20, 1892.
To-day has been pleasant, the earlier part was chilly, but it turned out a beautiful evening. As I was going by the corner I noticed some one going up the street past the Desciple Church, and at a glance I took it to be J.P. but was not certain. I went that way, and what was my surprise when I reached the church, but to find him there, so I was not mistaken. After service, we walked the same way back, and he came down home with me. After wanting me again to go right over home with him, which I could not, he said he would come back for me about three. At that time he came, and we went over to Mrs. Vance's. The time which passed only too quickly, was soon gone, for I had told the folks at home that I should be back at half five. Mrs. Vance made me promise to come back and spend the evening; so after J.P. leaving me this afternoon, he said he would call about 7, as I thought that would be the most convenient time. What a pleasant evening it was; some of the happiest moments I have ever spent, were passed this evening. We left about a quarter after nine, as J.P. is obliged to meet the 9:30 train Sunday evenings as well as week days. This is the first Sunday evening it has been so. The day to me has been a happy one. I wrote a letter to Uncle Henry and Aunt Mary, and one to Minnie Kurtz after I came home.

Monday, March 21, 1892.
This has been a very pleasant day. J.P. was sitting by the window as I passed along to school with Ed Palmer. He came over this evening and wonderingly and eagerly in the years which are to come, will I wait and watch for the outcome and ending of those few moments at parting.

Tuesday, March 22, 1892.
This has been a gloomy day. It had rained early this morning and frozen, and when I went to school everything was glary ice. Walking was very dangerous; in fact every one had to slide. As I was passing the corner J.P. was coming down the street from the depot. I waited for him, and we walked up to the school gate on the south side, together. He showed me an invitation which he had received from his brother in Pittsburg, to attend the graduation exercises of his class; he said he thought he should go Thursday morning, as they were to be held at 2 o'clock of that day. At recess Delphine Barr, Ely Straight and I opened our window, and J.P. was at theirs, so we had quite a time glancing across the school lot, and together with Ely's motionings and maneuvers; I thought we would over balance and fall our of the window from laughing. In the evening he came across and remained until time for the train: No. 28. I went up to Miss Bristol's after school and when I came home I went up town.

Wednesday, March 23, 1892.
It has been cloudy and cold to-day. As I was going to school this morning, J.P. was coming from town on the street south of the school house. At the corner I waited for him and we walked together to the school-gate. After school this afternoon, I went down town with Delphine, and received a letter from Georgia Breckenridge. In the evening J.P. came over, and we walked over to Mrs. Vance's on an errand. We came home at 9 o'clock. He wishes me to accompany him to the station in the morning, and of course I willingly consented to do so.

Thursday, March 24, 1892.
This has been a most beautiful day, as pleasant as any spring day could be. I went over to Mrs. Vance's about nine o'clock. Mr. and Mrs. Vance are going to Ravenna on the same train as J.P. is going away on. He and I started for the station a few minutes before they did, but we walked so slow they soon overtook us. The train was just pulling into the depot as we reached there. So after waiting a few minutes, they bade me good-bye, and J.P. stepped aboard the moving train, and once again we were whirled apart just as we had been only three short months ago to-morrow, this time he is the one to go and I the one to remain, before it was opposite. He is coming home to-morrow. As the train rounded the curve and the last wave of his hand kerchief had fluttered, I started slowly for the school house. I had not gone to the depot but what I had been seen by the ones in our corner, observing us as we left the house and went down the walk. When I came home from school this afternoon, Dora Rosst was there. We went up town about five o'clock, and I received a letter from Jessie Phillips. After supper I walked as far as the town with Will and Dora on her way home. After leaving them I met Mrs. Weaver and children, and shortly after Aunt Maria. We walked down to her house together, when she wished us to come in, and after spending nearly an hour there, Mrs. Weaver and her boys and myself came home. I left her at the corner and after reaching home, I had to go up to Mrs. Marsh'es after Emma. On my way home, I met Mrs. Marsh just coming from church. -------

The following is being penned Wednesday A.M. January 31, 1894 at C.C. & S. Depot, Canton, Ohio.

Friday, March 25, 1892.
This has been a beautiful day. I went to school. Mr. Seese told our class this afternoon we could take the Grammar Examination next week if we wanted to, and we need not if we did not wish to, for we all had passed in our daily standings; but after school nearly all agreed to take it Tuesday, as there is no school Monday. After school Delphine and I went down town and from there I went to Miss Bristol's. J.P. came home on the six o'clock passenger. I was standing on the front step when the train passed, and he on the platform of the car. I was not to be mistaken from his wave. Johnnie Phillips was Fireman, and waved from the engine. J.P. came over this evening, and remained until time for the half past nine. At half past six this evening, Keno and I walked down as far as Mrs. Peeples'. I was talking with her, when soon Will came along, and after remaining a while longer we all came home together. Emma and Maud Marsh were down there on the side walk skating on their rollers, and I went after them.

Saturday, March 26, 1892.
This has been a pleasant day, but towards evening it clouded up and later, rained very hard. I was busy all day. Dora Rosst wished me to come up this evening, so Will and I went about 7 o'clock. I stopped into the office across the way a few minutes before going. I have no records of this evening, but if my memory serves me correctly, I think that after we reached Dora's, she, Will and I went down to Maggie Ahearn's to a party, the which we had received invitations for, some time within the week. There were about 16 present, and we all enjoyed ourselves very very much. The evening was spent in playing games, and all those pleasures which tend to make the evening of an assembled party of young people, happily passed. Warm sugar was served. It rained dreadful hard throughout the entire evening, but did not suppress the enjoyment which was being held within doors. As the evening drew towards its close, we all prepared to depart. Will and I went home with Dora, and then we came immediately home. My, but how it did rain. It was about twelve o'clock when we, who were almost wet through, entered the house. But nevertheless, we all passed a memorable and pleasant evening, despite of stormy weather.

[Newspaper clipping]

An Old Play Bill.
I found it after many years,
Along with letters old;
I gaze upon it now with tears,
As I its page unfold!
It brings me back a vision fair,
A face of loveliness,
A form of grace beyond compare,
Deep beauty in each tress!

A white hand held it long ago,
And folded it that night,
When, side by side, with hearts aglow,
We sat in love's delight!
We looked upon the mimic scene,
And joy was in those eyes
That looked in mine, with gentle mien.
Our dream was paradise!

She wept to see the hero sad,
Borne from his only love;
She smiled again, with face so glad,
To see her loyal prove.
I told the story of my heart
That night of nights again;
She whispered: "We shall never part!"
Ah! dream, so light, so vain!

The curtains fell upon my joy
Before a year had passed;
Time ever will our hopes destroy,
Not even love will last!
And all I keep of those sweet years
Is this old play bill worn;
It brings again the hopes, the tears,
The faith to tatters torn!

MMS 332 Lizzie Marrot Diary, 1891
Manuscripts by Subject | Women's Studies Collections, Part 2