More on Buildings: People Behind the Names
Many of Bowling Green State University's buildings have been named to honor those who were important in the development of the University. Many were named for former presidents, faculty members, or benefactors, but some were decided by popular vote. Some examples are listed below. A complete list of individuals and their biographies is available online.
Founders Quadrangle : Founder’s, completed in 1957, was designed to serve as a women’s residence hall. Each of the four residence halls were named for a man who played a major role in the enactment of legislation that created Bowling Green State University.
John Lowry, a state legislator, was the sponsor of the Lowry Bill (1910) in the Ohio General Assembly that created Bowling Green Normal School (later Bowling Green State University)
Granville Mooney was the Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives at the time when the Lowry Bill was enacted.
Francis Treadway was Lieutenant Governor and president of the Ohio Senate when the Lowry Bill was enacted.
Judson Harmon was the Governor of the State of Ohio when the Lowry Bill was enacted, and he signed it into law.
Harshman Quadrangle : Harshman was completed in 1964 as part of a plan to double on-campus housing capacity. Hired as a professor of business in 1936, Ralph G. Harshman became Dean of the College of Business Administration in 1937. In 1951, he became Dean (later Vice President) of Administration and in 1961 was named President. He served as President until 1963, when he retired. Students suggested people for whom the halls should be named.
Named for noted Ohio author, Sherwood Anderson, best known for his novel Winesburg, Ohio.
Named after Louis Bromfield, novelist and conservationist. He owned Malabar Farm, on which he experimented with soil conservation and organic growing techniques.
Named after John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed, who roamed the Ohio frontier planting apple orchards and befriending isolated settlers.
Named after Paul Laurence Dunbar, the first African-American to gain national eminence as a poet. He was a native of Dayton, Ohio.
|Hayes Hall : This building was completed in 1931 as the Practical Arts Building, and remodeled in 1959. At this time it was dedicated to the nineteenth U.S. President, Rutherford B. Hayes, and his wife, Lucy Webb Hayes. The Hayes family resided in Fremont, Ohio.|
Kreischer Quadrangle : Kreischer Quadrangle, completed in 1966, was the second of the large, co-ed complexes to be constructed on the campus (Harshman was the first). It was named after Ervin Kreischer who served as the University’s Business Manager from 1937-1965. In 1964 he became the Vice President of Finance and served in this position until his retirement in 1965. He was instrumental in obtaining legislation that allowed universities to sell bonds to fund the construction of campus buildings, especially residence halls. As with Harshman, students suggested people for whom the halls should be named.
James M. Ashley was an abolitionist congressman from Toledo, Ohio who sponsored the 13th amendment to the Constitution, abolishing slavery in the United States. He also introduced the resolution to impeach President Andrew Johnson in 1867.
Ann Batchelder received an honorary degree from the University in 1950. She was a well known journalist who served as food editor of the Ladies Home Journal for many years.
|Compton Hall |
The Compton Family included scientists and scholars. Karl (at right) served as Chancellor of MIT, Wilson was president of State College of Washington, and Arthur (at left, shaking hands with E.L. Moseley) was chancellor of Washington University.
Clarence Darrow was a lawyer famous for his work in defense of civil liberties. He gained much of his fame when he defended Thomas Scopes in the widely publicized Scopes Monkey Trial (on the teaching of evolution) in Tennessee in 1925.