Centennial Perspectives

People: E. Tappan Rodgers

E. Tappan Rodgers
1880-1963
Board of Trustees

E. Tappan Rodgers, a business and civic leader from Tiffin Ohio, served on the University’s board of trustees from 1924 to 1928, and again from 1944 to 1961. In 1947, Rodgers became the President of the Board of Trustees, and served continuously in that position until December of 1961. His tenure of 14 consecutive years as Board President is the longest period any individual has held that position in the history of the university. The post-World War II period brought challenges and opportunities for the University, requiring strong leadership. Land acquisition, building projects, faculty funding and high academic standards demanded additional revenue. During this critical period, the Board, under Rodgers’ leadership, secured funds by issuing bonds on the public market. Rodgers was the publisher of Tiffin’s newspaper, The Advertiser-Tribune, a director of the Tiffin State Bank, as well as a member of numerous charitable organizations.

In 1959, in recognition of his continuing contributions to Bowling Green State University, Rodgers Quadrangle was dedicated in his honor.

For further reading in University Archives

  • News articles in BG News
  • Board of Trustees Minutes

Return to People | More on Buildings