People: Henry J. Johnston
Henry J. Johnston
Board of Trustees
Dr. Henry J. Johnston served on the Bowling Green Board of Trustees from 1920 to 1935, and from 1939 until his death in 1943. In his role as a University Trustee, Johnston was a supporter of the expansion of the University from its Normal College role. He took an active part in working with the Ohio legislature to permit the establishment of a Liberal Arts College and a College of Business Administration here. Johnston also served as the President of the Board of Trustees from 1929 to 1935. Johnston Hall was named in his honor upon its completion in 1942, while he was a member of the Board of Trustees.
As a medical student, he enlisted in Company L of the 6th Ohio Infantry Regiment, and served in the hospital corps in Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War. Upon graduating from medical school, Johnston opened a practice in Tontogany. He also served as the President of the Wood County Board of Health.
- News articles in BG News
- Obituary. Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune, November 1, 1943, p. 1